Aerate / Overseed question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by maverick214, Sep 20, 2004.

1. maverick214

maverick214 LawnSite Member

I am planning on core aerating and overseeding my lawn this weekend 9/25/04. I live in Delaware and the first frost will probably occur in the middle to late October. My questions is should i be trying to get the seeds to germinate now or do I wait til the spring? Also, in this case should I be throwing starter fertilizer to help get the seeds going or a winterizer and let the seeds go for the spring?

Maverick

2. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

IMO core aeration is only good for relieveing soil compaction. The holes left are 2-3 inches deep thats too deep to plant grass. It will start to grow in clumps then as the holes close up the new grass dies off. Waste of seed.
    You should slice seed or slit seed either will work fine. When you do it try to go in two directions, like double cutting a lawn. Do it as soon as possable to give the new grass a healthy root system before winter.
    Yes use starter firt 19-19-19 then in four weeks another firt starter or winterizer. Hit it with starter in early march and then crabgrass prevention in late april.
    Just my opinion on how I would do it.

3. maverick214

maverick214 LawnSite Member

Thanks for your response Liberty. If I wanted to core Aerate and slit seed, is that possible? wasn't sure if the holes would interfere with the slit seeding process. Also, my other question is do I want my grass seed to grow now or next Spring? A lawn service guy in my neighborhood told me I want to core aerate and overseed now but to let the seeds sit over winter. That just didnt sound right to me but I am no expert.

Maverick

4. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

Aeration is used soley to get oxygen to the ground, to remove grass really. If you are looking to add seed you probably don't have a real thick lawn. There is no reason to aereate and overseed. Around Kansas I would aereate in both directions and overseed now. It is better to get the seed started now, so that through the winter the roots will grow strong and you will have a great lawn in the spring. That is with Fescue.

5. Liberty Lawncare

Liberty Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Aeration is used to relieve compaction if the soil is compacted aeration is good. IF thin lawn is a problem slice seed in two directions now. Aeration and slice seeding can be done at the same time.