aerate

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bobcatnj, Jan 30, 2008.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

how do you know when a lawn needs to be aerated?when is the best time to do it?

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

Technicaly spring and fall. Sometimes in spring it is too wet and will do too much damage. We typicaly do it between mid augest and end of september.

3. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

I like spring, because it really makes the lawns pop when they get air and nutrients down to the root zone. Fall is good, but can be much drier, even drought like conditions, which impede aeration. To each his own.

4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

You should determine whether aeration is needed by determining the thickness of thatch and the compaction of the soil. If you have more than 3/4 to 1" of thatch building you may want to aerate. If the turf sees heavy traffic patterns...foot traffic, constant passes with equipment, it probablly is time to aerate.I read that if you can push say a pen/pencil into the ground around 2-3 inches only using your thumb that you do NOT need to aerate.

We perform our aerations in the fall.

5. magland

magland LawnSite Member

Spring or fall. Every year if you want to sell some aerations. I include aeration in one of our programs. In my opinion, aeration and seeding are the best things you can do for a lawn.

6. bobcatnj

thanks for the info

7. bobcatnj

how do you price to aerate?by the sq ft? acre, half acre, 1/4 acre?

8. RD 12

RD 12 LawnSite Member

I would do by the acre. I take care of baesball & football and you should use a drag mat once the plugs are almost drying out. So it can take a little of time.

9. BUCKEYE MOWING

BUCKEYE MOWING LawnSite Bronze Member

This is what we do as well...just make sure you use a CORE aerator...

10. magland

magland LawnSite Member

I price by sq footage. I have a minimum charge for 4,000 sq ft and go up from there. I charge more for an aeration than an application. To me, aeration is a lot more difficult and demanding than an app of fert and weed control. Plus I use LA 28's, and they pull a ton of plugs. Some guys still price it the same as an app. I figured make more money on the ones you do and do a few less aerations. Only problem is, our aeration numbers have continued to go up. Guess I need to raise prices more!