1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ej Landscaping, Mar 17, 2004.

1. ej Landscaping

ej Landscaping LawnSite Member

Can somebody walk me through the process of Aerating. Obviously you don't pick up the cores, but when would you use a power rake? Do you do both on the same property? I have gone through the process on a golf course but not on a residential property.
  2. alpine692003

alpine692003 LawnSite Bronze Member

No idea :(

I know when you aerate you leave the plugs there so it's a topdressing for your grass..
  3. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

power rake first, pick up thatch. then aerate. simple.
  4. Outback Designz

Outback Designz LawnSite Member

Aerate alone will help break up thatch. Only do both if there is a bad thatch problem....imo.
  5. jeff_0

jeff_0 LawnSite Senior Member
    from md

aerate now and detatch at the end of the summer if needed...
  6. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Aeration will help to control the thatch. I've gotten away from dethatching now that I have my aerator because it's easier and probably better for the lawn. Breaking up thatch with the core aerator is better for the lawn too, because as the thatch breaks down the organic matter will go back into the lawn and feed the grass. Dethatching/powerraking is a pain in the but, especially picking up the grass/thatch after you're done. Dethatching before aerating is kinda redundant, in my opinion. I wouldn't do both at the same time, unless the yard is in really bad shape.

I'm thinking about turning my dethatcher into a slit seeder.
  7. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

Watch out for sprinkler heads, water caps, and gas caps. Hit a metal gas cap with the aerator and you will find out.:D :D

My buddy was aerating 5 years ago and took out 28 heads on one lawn at 25.00 a head his boss was pissed.:D :D
  8. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

Yeah, good advice. I try to have all that flagged before I start the aeration.
  9. Outback Designz

Outback Designz LawnSite Member

Yes, have the heads marked. In this area I also call "before you dig" it is a service offered by companies and is free to consumers. They come out and mark underground power and phone lines.
  10. P&C Lawn Care

P&C Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

Definitately flag those sprinkler heads. Aeration takes care of compated soil, dethathing (power raking) takes care of, obviously, thatch. I would dethatch in the spring and you can aerate any time of year.