aerate ?????????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by chefdrp, Jul 24, 2004.

1. chefdrp

chefdrp LawnSite Bronze Member

I know its too early but i am lining up people to find out if they want this service. I have a person that comes to the Rest. and asks me if i would do there lawn. (aerate). Its almost 4 acres. I normaly just take what i charge for the lawn and times it by 3. seems to work well. anyway, if normaly its 45 bucks an acre to cut. does 540 bucks sound about right? And i have never done a large prop like this. 1/2 acre tops. about how long would it take to do with a say 36ish w/b unit?

2. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I dunno how long...but with one of those walk-behind machines you WILL feel like you've been run over by a bus 4 acres later.

I'm sure you could do that in a day, and $540 ain't bad for one day.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

If he bites that $540 price, I would take that money and apply it towards a $1500 Lesco (or other brand) tow behind aerator.

4. chefdrp

If you are talking about the type that doesnt PULL the plug i dont want it. I want to pull the plug. By not doing this you are in a sence not doing any real good. You are just compacting the soil more. (pushing the soil in and not letting it breath. ) Does this make sence?

5. LawnScapers of Dayton

LawnScapers of Dayton LawnSite Silver Member
    Male, from Dayton, OH

I would rent a pull behind plugger for that job......then if you get more of these large jobs buy one......

Derek

6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Yes, that does make sense, but I was talking about the kind that pulls the plug. Classen makes a good pull behind unit also.

7. chefdrp

ok. thanx walker. I will look into it.

8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

chef, do you have something to pull a pull behind with? If so, that would definately be the way to go for that size property.
    You can rent one in the 4' to 5' range for like $30 for 4 hours. $45 for the day.

Now, just a couple things about your original post that I have questions on.

1. You said you charge 3 times the mowing price. So how did you come up with $540 for a $135 lawn? Just adding a little fudge factor?

2. You mentiond a 36" wb aerater. Who makes a wb that wide? 26" is the widest I've seen.

9. Wells

Wells LawnSite Member
    from SLC UT

gogetter.

I think you must have mis-understood part of his post. He mentioned charging $45.00 per acre to cut, and the property he is looking at aerating is a 4 acre property. Then he charges 3 times the cuting price.

4 acres x $45 = $180
    $180 x 3 = $540

10. chefdrp

gogetter. 45 bucks an acre times 4 = $180 X3= $540 i think. I think thats the size i rented last year. Not sure of the make. I might be wrong.