aerated and broke a sprinkler main.......

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ant, Sep 6, 2001.

1. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

:angry: i riped into a sprinkler line with my aeravator and i told the homeowner i will be back with the repair kit...
    the line was 2.5" down....
    what do you guys do about this ?

it's not the homeowners fault. i spent 1 1/4 hr. on it...
    ant

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

In this case, yes I think it is the homeowners responsibility. 2.5" is far too shallow and you could not avoid it. Would I make them pay for it? I don't know, probably not. I would hope they would offer to pay. If they don't, chalk it up and make sure you advise future customers of your machines effective depth and tell them you cannot be responsible for damage to pipe installed at that depth.

3. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

You got to it before me. Recently I aerated a lawn for a neighbor of one of my customers. All sprinkler heads were marked, so I went ahead and did the job. About a week later I dropped by to pick up a check and she tells me that there were 15 holes in the system due to the aeration and the fact that the lines were only down 2" at most. She foot the bill, being that the lines were only down 2". From now on, contracts on all aerations that I will not be responsible for lines that are too shallow.

4. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Wouldn't you know you were hitting something?

5. ant

powerreel,what are you smoking?:lol
    ant :cool:

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If it's just one hole, I think a simple coupling should do it. Just dig it up and around it, make your cut and install. Just make sure your clamps are tight.:)

7. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I make sure they understand (in writing) that I'm not responsible for anything less than 5" in the ground. I'm not going to be responsible for the laziness of the irrigation guy.

Ant, you couldn't fell it when you hit it? ;)

8. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Anthony,
    Just an FYI. Here in NJ you are supposed to have an irrigation license even to make repairs. I was also told by an irrigation supplier that the main lines here in NJ are supposed to be at a certain depth. I can't remember the exact number but I think it was in the 8"-12" range (safe from freeze\thaw cycle?), so if your machine hit one, it wasn't installed to code. Not your fault.

9. ant

thanks for the replys,you got to fixit .the last thing the homeowner wonts to here is "o-well"
    any

10. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

Ant, You gotta be licensed for repairs and installs.

I helped write specification for systems years ago for the IA of NJ and one was pipe depth.

Pipe should have cover equal to 3 times the pipe diameter OR 6 inches whichever is GREATER!

Get a waiver for every job for stuff less than 6" deep because invisible dog fences and some cable lines are very shallow too.

Bad news. Bet you didn't tag this in just one spot. Although you may have punched a hole or large crack in one spot, I've seen many where the PVC pipe is just cracked and will weep and soak into the soil.

These breaks are a bear to find.

This is why you have liability insurance on completed operations, right?

Probably won't get ugly but you see the potential for big repairs or replacement, right?

Get the homeowner to get the installing contractor fix it for free or let them pay whoever now maintains the system to repair for there usual fee.

You have lawn work to do not chase sprinkler problems not your fault, right?