1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Aerated today!!!

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Rick13, Aug 21, 2012.

1. Rick13

Rick13 LawnSite Senior Member

This is at my buddies house. He has an in-ground sprinkler system....otherwise most yards around here are still pretty dry. Hoping for some rain!!!!

The plugs are 3" to 5" and the ExMark made quick work of the yard!

2. TriCountyLawn

TriCountyLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Is that one pass ?
  3. Rick13

Yep...single pass. A few spots I might double pass/over lap....but for the most part only a single pass.

RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member

Careful on how deep you go with the ride on! We destroyed a irrigation system 3 years ago with ours. Might be a good Idea for you to disclose that you are not responsible for irrigation lateral lines. Some companies do a crappy job of installing irrigation systems. No way to know how deep they are buried.
    Good luck and enjoy the ease of aerating now.
  5. jfoxtrot9

jfoxtrot9 LawnSite Senior Member

Good stuff. I picked mine up today. I still haven't got to play with it yet. Can't wait!
  6. Rick13

Hey jfoxtrot9,

Make sure that you or the dealer unhook a red control arm used for shipping to keep your tines protected for shipment.

I started my aerator, touched the engage pedal to lower the tines, and they wouldn't come down. Took a look underneath and found a red metal bracket that was pinned to the tines, so the arm would not come down. Took off the bracket and then the tines would engage. My dealer missed it when they did their set up.
  7. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

I did a lawn in which the tines never go deeper that 3" in that area, yet we sure enough tore an irrigation hose... definately not my problem and the client knew it...

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

looks good
  9. Rick13

I'll be going back to slit seed his yard next week and throw down some starter fertilizer.
  10. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Rick - nice plugs with that ride on.

Sure you need to slice seed that lawn? It looks pretty dense. Not sure that any new seed would have enough space to germinate and grow.