1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Aerating and Dethatching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lbmd1, Apr 11, 2000.

1. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

I've got a couple of customers who want both an aeration and dethatching in the next few weeks. My question is, should I aerate first then dethatch and clean, or the opposite. By dethatching last, the cleaning will remove most of the aerating cores. They both would be done on the same day. Does it matter at all which way? Thanks!<p>Mike
  2. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Core first, then dethatch. This is a good procedure if thatch is heavy. The dethatching will knock the soil off the cores, and let you pick up much of the thatch in the cores.<br>But I never do both on same day. You want it wet for best aerator penetration, but dethatching is best done dry. Customer always wants it looking good in spring, but tell them waiting until cores dry thoroughly will achieve best benefit. Dethatching wet will remove a lot of soil.<p>----------<br>Jim<br>North central Indiana
  3. This is the way I do it:<p>Tine rake and mow to 1 1/2-2inches (bluegrass)and side discharge clippings.<p>Then I bring out the polish dancer (snapper<br>power plugger).<p>Then I beat the turf to death with a snapper<br>power rake.<p>Then I pick up the thatch with the 52&quot; toro<br>and a wright mfg metal bagger. I also have<br>a square 45 gal plastic trash can on wheels<br>with a metal leaf rake if its super bad.
  4. ZYAL8R

ZYAL8R LawnSite Member
    from ny

can i fertilze a lawn right after i get done aerating it??? i am looking for an aerator(any suggestions) and was thinking about knocking of two jobs in one stop. aeration and the feretilization