1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Aerating and dethatching?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Dunn's, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

How much would you charge for aerating around 7,000 square feet of lawn. renting the aerator cost $15.00 per hour; minimum 2 hours. We were thinking $90.00 for customers and $110.00 for non-customers. Also, around how much do you charge for dethatching for this size lot and would you dethatch before or after aerating if you would even dethatch at all if aerating? The grass type is bluegrass mostly.
  2. Dunn's

Oh yeah, and it cost $12.00 per hour for a dethatcher to rent at a minumum 2 hours.
  3. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

For that size lot I'd charge the minimum $40 for the aeration... Dunno about dethatching, never done it.
  4. RyanD

RyanD LawnSite Member

Topsites... I think he means what would you charge if you had expenses like he does. It will cost him $30 to rent the aerator.

Topsites wasn't trying to mislead you, that is just what he would charge to stop by, do it, and get out. For all I know it may take you an hour to go by the rental place to get the equipment.

Tell us how long it will take you to go by the rental shop to get the equipment, how long you will be working with that equipment, what it will cost you to operate that day, and what you actually want to make that day. Then I can tell you what to charge

Dethatching... same thing.
  5. Dunn's

Yea it is ok. I am used to topsites view of things some things he is dead on about like pita's,and all around just being observant of people. But when it comes to wanting to make enough money to live,grow,and make a profit he is usually a little off and low on these. It is funny because I was out cutting grass when Kristin posted this thread and when I talked to her after one of the yards she told me someone posted a reply with forty dollars. First thing I said was. Was it Topsites?
    Sorry top we love you. Well it takes about 20-40 minutes round trip maybe a little more to get the machine depending on traffic and what the rental guy at true value is doing when we get there.
    Also do you dethatch before aerating or after. Also how long does it usually take everyone to dethatch a lawn of that size I have seen other crews packing up from doing it and having a truck bed full of thatch.Thanks in advance for any help!
  6. ACutAboveNC

ACutAboveNC LawnSite Member

You need to dethatch before you aerate. Also, think about charging more for aeration because if you are only charging $90, then you are wasting your time.
  7. Dunn's

We thought so as well but this is for an existing weekly customer who always pays on time. Ask for estimates for other jobs and so far has taken all of them,and they also got their neighbor to ask for an estimate as well so if they both take it. I will knock out 2 in one day on the same street about ten houses apart but same street.So what do you think the price should be for the dethatching? we will charge non-customers starting at $110.00. Thanks for the advice!
  8. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

we dethatch 2 times a year. first cut of the year, and now, while we're renovating lawns and reseeding.
    rule of thumb for dethatching here.... generally, whatever you get for the month of maintenance practically double it, or slightly less to be alittle competitive. there are variables ofcourse.

example, if i have a house that is $90 for the month maintenace, i'd price $150 easily.
    i have some where not the whole property is "manicured", some areas are just cut. A house like this that cost $90 for the month, may cost just $75-90 for de-thatching.
    every market is different though.

what i do know, is that i bought my Encore thatcher my first day in business when i bought everything else, and it is worth every penny several times over. I would suggest buying one instead of renting one. I have a hard-tine one, that i use all year when prepping for sod. what a time and back saver! similar to a tiller, but works so much beter for what i want it for.
  9. Dunn's

Thanks FGA how long does it usually take to dethatch a 7,000 square foot lawn?
  10. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

i could only estimate beacuse i don't have any lawns that large. my largest is in the 3000-3500 range, and it took us about an hour to an hour and a half. me and 2 guys. i may have gotten it done faster, but i'm thorough. Also, this time of year there are leaves to be blown out of the beds, etc, prior to cutting, so my "clean-up time" consists of more then just the actual dethatching.
    I run the thatcher over the lawn, then we'll rake/blow piles to be picked up. also, there may be some spots you can't get with the machines, like a corner, and it gets a quickie with the metal tine leaf rake.
    alot of labor in de-thatching, make sure you get paid for it. Aerating i've never done, but i've been told that you can leave the "cigars" on the lawn for alot less labor.