Aerating and Dethathing, who does it and when

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by JMK Lawn Service, Aug 30, 2012.

1. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

Or....you "dethatch" in early spring, then fertilize (if overseeding is not needed) & water like crazy to allow the turf to grow thick and you don't cut lower than 3" all summer and keep a steady water schedule, the turf itself will be an "insulate" from the heat.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

That is fine, tall grass in the heat is necessary, but that alone doesn't replace the OM getting into the soil,,, building structure, which increase water infiltration, retention and air movement,,, provide CE sites for holding nutrients even providing habitat for earthworms to multiply in the turf...

If you can look straight down and see dirt... the sun is killing what should be living soil... :)

3. tree_hugger

tree_hugger LawnSite Senior Member

If you can look straight down and see dirt... the sun is killing what should be living soil... :)

Well said I might have to borrow that
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Dave does lawns

Dave does lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Aeration should be done ideally spring and fall when the air temps are cooler. Aeration exposes the roots which will get baked in the summer heat.

De-Thaching: I would only de thatch as needed. When the "thatch", (found below the mulched clipping and dead crowns) is more then 1/2" thick its time to de-thatch. Using good lawn care practices, you should not ever need to do this.

Power raking: Is something I do yearly in the spring for many people. It is just a light rake of the surface and the accumulated clippings and dead crowns. I think its unnecessary to do this for any other reason then visual appearance, much like some people are unwilling to deal with mulching their grass and therefore it must be bagged, visual appearance. I only do power raking after explaining to a customer that they do not need it, and if the still want it done, then I will do it, cause hey if I don't someone else will.