Aerating and Fertilizing most yards 25 to 30

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Casey, Mar 5, 2003.

1. Casey

Casey LawnSite Member

Advertisement that showed up in our local paper today. Aerating and fertilizing, most yards $25 to $30, and I thought the guys that were advertising to mow most yards for $25 were cheap. The guy even had to pay $100 to run the ad for 30 days. Must have really low over head:dizzy:

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

That or need their head's examined:dizzy: :dizzy: :dizzy:

3. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

is that really all that it costs to run a 30 day add in your paper?

That must a pretty small ad.

4. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Just sub the morons out and sit at home. No better way to make money than sitting down!

5. LakeSide Lawn and Landscape

LakeSide Lawn and Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Thats a good idea i have some he can do!:D But he must use the fert. that I would use!:cool:

6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That is unbelievable cheap but here are my thoughts. What is the average size lawn? Was the ad targeting town homes? I can't believe that the person who took the add out is willing to work for free so this might possible be a gimmick to get their foot in the door. I am not implying that they are doing this cheaply to get the mowing to but to get in front of the customer knowing full well that they will not do any yard for the advertised price but for much more.

Gravely_Man

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I think the term "most yards" is the key, here. Most WHAT yards? This goes down in the same category as "starting as low as....."
    I'ts all in the marketing.

8. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

I bet the customers will be happy when their lawn is spike aerated and there is about 2 lbs of 10-10-10 on their lawn. Also did the ad say that the entire yard would be aerated? Maybe he just plans on aerating the first 10 feet and then stopping. LOL. Its sad that some homeowners will actually call him for this service. I guess they still haven't learned you get what you pay for.

9. strickdad

strickdad LawnSite Senior Member

i too saw were a lco was advertizeing up to a 1/2 acre for 40.00 dollars. this was in a out of town newspaper.

10. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

When my customers ask abot these 'cheapie' ads all I to do is educate them of the spread rate of the fert (lbs-sq.ft)...and the cost of the fert. Same with overseeding. I tell them next time they are visiting Home Cheepo to price a bag and see what I mean.

The math is easy.

They are pretty smart and figure it out quickly. :D