1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Aerating and Overseeding Irrigated lawns

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by LushGreenLawn, Jun 11, 2007.

1. LushGreenLawn

LushGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

Hey Guys,

When I'm aerating or overseeding a lawn that has an irrigation system, it the sprinkler heads all I have to worry about? I am going to mark them when the time comes, but what about pipes, ect. Are they deep enough that I do not have to worry about them?
  2. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

normally the pipes are deep enough to not have to worry...be sure to mark the heads like you said, but if you do it be sure to charge the cust for it. I usually have the cust do it, tehn they can turn on all the zones and make sure they are all marked...if tehy dont have flags I provide them. Some lcos dont mark heads...but I say its better to be safe than sorry.
  3. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

Most are buried deep enough (6-8"), but I have hit white supply pipe that was less than 2" deep. Sometimes the beaners don't pull it deep enough, I called the installer, Who I had known for years, and he fixed it free. You KNOW its too shallow when you hit it with a Fergeson tank type spike aerator! Since that incident, I have always included language in the contract to the tune of "Not responsible for damages to sprinkler pipes buried shallower than 8" .":hammerhead: :hammerhead:
  4. deereequipment

deereequipment LawnSite Senior Member

I hit a pipe 2" deep when edging a bed with my bed edger.
    I make the home owner flag all heads, and put in my paperwork, I am not liable for damage to unmarked equipment.
  5. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Like the other guys said, have the homeowner mark the heads, or charge them to do it. Either way, check to see if the missed any.

IMO, you'd better not be able to hit a line with an aerator!! They should be at least 6" down.
    We turned a brand new system into swiss cheese on a new soccer field once. The irr. contractor insisted the lines were minimum 8" down. We were pulling 2-3" cores and punctured lines in a dozen or so places. Didn't touch a single head. There were little geysers everywhere. Wish I'd had a camera...
  6. DiyDave

DiyDave LawnSite Bronze Member

The line I hit with the Fergeson spike aerator was in the middle of a 2 year old sodded 1 acre lawn. The line had pressure in it when I hit it, and the sod ballooned up, I noticed it when it exceeded waterbed size, heading to Pitcher's mound size. Wish I had a camera for that one, too!
  7. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

I never mark heads after 30 years never had to replace any