Aerating and Overseeding, it's a little too late?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by big_country, Nov 16, 2006.

1. big_country

big_country LawnSite Member

Heres the problem, I had a customer call me today, half way through November, and wants his yard aerated and over seeded. I believe it's a little late, I finished my over seeding jobs up in the first of October. Plus with all this rain we've had it will be right before or after Thanksgiving before I could get to it. The question is should I recommend to them to do in say early in the spring, say would around the first of March be a good time? Or should I tell them they need to wait until next fall? If it was done in the early spring would the results be pretty good, I'm in western Kentucky, if that helps with the climate idea. Thanks Justin

2. TURFLORD

TURFLORD LawnSite Senior Member

At this time of year it will probably be a dormant seeding. This question will probably start an argument thread all by itself. But, I would explain the pros and cons of waiting and doing it now and then ask the customer which they would prefer. If they want to spend the cash now, don't argue.

3. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

I would really be careful with a dormant seeding anymore and especially the zone you are in. Dormant seeding will work if the cold comes and stays so the seed can be (Dormant) all winter. Your zone is too prone to warm-ups during winter. Your best bet is to wait for spring and do a seeding with a good weed prevention STARTER FERTILIZER. Make sure it is for new plantings or you could kill the whole seeding. But if you use a good starter Fert with weed control you can get a good spring seeding with little weed problems.

4. salandscape

salandscape LawnSite Member

Problem with aerating now, at least in NE is that the grass is dormant so the roots won't move into the loosen earth and it is a waste of time. Not sure when spring starts there but you need a ground temp of 60 to get germination, do you go through freeze thaws in march if so the seed will die, what till warms up a little, they will apprecaite the honesty, instead of being unhappy with the results!

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Tell him to wait until next year.

6. big_country

big_country LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies, it reinforces my decision to hold off until the spring. You're right, it is liable to warm up in to the 60's anytime in December or January here. I believe I'll wait until the weather clears up and starts to warm up sometime in March. I would say it's probably over two acres with out measuring it yet, so it would be a decent little job. I would hate for them to spend the money now and poor results show, plus ruin any other opportunity for me to do other services with them.

7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't overseed this late but I would go ahead and aerate the lawn. Unless you aerate extemely early in the spring, you gonna fill the lawn with weeds. I dont think you would have a problem aerating now. I have been doing aerationjobs over the past few weeks and the biggest problem has been the wet lawns.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Yep,...what Rod and the other guys said...wait. Turfcobob gave the best explanation why.