1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Aerating and overseeding question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jsmonroeCT, Aug 13, 2004.

1. jsmonroeCT

jsmonroeCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

I searched on this site to my overseeding and aerating question but I havent been able to find the answer. In the next two weeks, I plan on aerating and overseeding my lawn with a perenial rye and kb blend. I will cut the grass short, 2", as Ive read is recomended.

My question is this - since my lawn grows really, how long should I wait before I perform my first cut after overseeding? If I wait two weeks, the lawn will look like a jungle. If I cut before all the seed germinates, didnt I waste money and time?

2. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

No need to change your mowing routine after overseeding. In fact, we incorporate mowing as the last step in aerating, seed-detatching our athletic fields. It helps break up any soil plugs and heavy grass we may have on the surface. If you are using a spreader to overseed, I suggest that you take the time to work the seed down to the soil. Also, if you are using a spreader it would be a good idea to mow the existing lawn shorter than you had mentioned. If you are using a piece of equipment like a seeder-detatcher there is no need to go to the extra steps I mentioned.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I tell my customers to not cut for 2-3 weeks. If it gets a little high, just be patient. Those new seedlings are very tender, why put added stress on them by running a mower over them just a week old?

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Ah, two different opinions. You have to strike a balance. Definitely don't mow over any larger bare areas with seedlings, just let them grow for a few weeks. As for the rest of the lawn, you can't let it get too tall. Try to mow when the soil is dry, to minimize turf damage.
  5. jsmonroeCT

jsmonroeCT LawnSite Member
    from CT

Thanks all. I will cut the lawn short, aerate, and then overseed with a perenial rye - I would love to throw in a kb but may have to wait until spring. Since the lawn, or soil, is already being treated with an organic care program, I dont intend to put down a starter fert. Thanks again.