Aerating and Pre Emergent

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by FINN, Apr 4, 2006.

1. FINN

FINN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA.

I'm looking for feedback from people who have done this before. How long after you aerate in spring do you apply your crabgrass preemergent? I'm thinking it would be best if the holes would "close" or if I could let the lawn "settle" before doing a preemergent app.

I have a customer who is pushing the aerating in addition to his fert program. If he had signed up several weeks ago I would have felt like I had more time for both.
  2. mikesturf

mikesturf LawnSite Senior Member

I have aerated then put down pre-m many times and had no problems.
  3. ant

ant LawnSite Silver Member

Studies show that pre-emergent applications are not affected by core aeration. Weed seeds on top of the pre-emergent barrier will not grow down through the barrier or grow “sideways” toward the aeration holes. Feel free to aerate before, during or after treating for annual weeds (such as crabgrass).
  4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have been at this for a good amount of years, and it has always amused when somebody would say aerating a lawn after pre-em would break down the chemical barrier.As the other poster said, go on and aerate your accounts,before, after, or during a pre-em app.
  5. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

I aerate, seed (rye) this time of year, and apply pre-emergent all at once. Usually the rye will germinate before the pre-emergent forms it's barrier. I don't use KBG b/c it takes too long to germinate this time of year.

I try to avoid areating and seeding this time of year. But when needed this is how I approach it.