1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Aerating Bermuda

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by artie, Jan 16, 2003.

1. artie

artie LawnSite Member

Question for you. I live in the Marietta area which is a norhtern suburb of atlanta. Yesteday I saw a competitor aerating a dormant bermuda property. THis is a property I had about 4 years ago and they ahve been through 3 companies since then. I had the contract for 4 years. I stopped and asked the guy why he was doing it. He told me it was so the pre-emergent and fertilizer would get to the roots better. ANother thing is that it is very cold here this week. Going to be 18 degrees tomorrow night. From everything I know this is totally the wrong time of season to be doing this. Looking for some feed back and maybe somewhere to get info so I can show it to the homeowners.
  2. BOG Lawncare

BOG Lawncare LawnSite Member

Taking Turfgrass Mgnmt right now at Gwinnett Tech and we have discussed these topics slightly. From what I have heard, it is definitly the wrong time of year.

He may just be doing this to beef up on his winter income!;)
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Bad bad bad bad business.
  4. ipm

ipm LawnSite Senior Member

I would write it off. Some people never learn.

If you feel it necessary to contact the home owner and you know the address, send a direct peice of mail showing the advantages and disadvantages of proper aeration. 2c

I hate aerating!! Who the hell would want to do in the cold

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Sounds like the ignorant doing business with the ignorant.

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

He's just trying to get this kind of work done when he's otherwise not busy and sitting on his rear end. It's totally wrong of course, and little weeds will fill all those nice holes. Also, the preemergent forms a barrier in the soil, and doesn't need to "get down to roots" . And the fertilizer will do fine w/o aerating on normal soil.

I see numerous quasi-ethical and harmful practices going on all year around here. Usually it's some of the Chemlawn type applicator companies trying to find something to do when business is slow, whether it's good for the customer or not (heavy fertilizer and weed control applications in 95 degree heat to non irrigated fescue lawns in last summer's drought comes to mind)

I just do a good job and try not to worry about the other guys. Even if I don't like it.