Aerating Cemetery question

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by TheNatural, Sep 23, 2009.

1. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

2. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

We run all the above. With large properties, we do most of the work with 48" Ryan pull-behinds w/hydraulic lift (pulled behind John Deere 445's -22 hp). Trim areas = small TURFCO units or LS walk-behinds or small Ryans. The funnest units we run are TURFCO split-drive w/"sulkies" -- they work fairly well doing trim areas, and they are "extremely fast" in open areas. We thought our John Deeres were fast until we bought TURFCO aerators w/sulkies. IMO, TURFCO has the fastest split-drive aerators on the market. But LS walk-behinds have an advantage on hills due to its hydrostatic tranny. We usually carry 3 different aerators on each trailer.

Our 28" split-drive TURFCO's w/sulkies are twice as fast as the LS units - trust me. The guys who run 'em listen to their radio station of choice while they aerate (headphones), and they are fun to drive.

We'll give the LS walk-behinds a serious test next month ..... their advantage is aerating in forward & reverse as well as climbing slopes, but I really don't see a "sulky" in this picture.??

I truly advise not to take turfcobob's bet regarding the football field, cuz you will lose big time. Only thing we have that will compete with similar speed are our John Deere tractors w/hydrostatic trannys.

3. LawnSolutionsCP

LawnSolutionsCP Sponsor

4. LawnSolutionsCP

LawnSolutionsCP Sponsor

Here are some pictures from PLANETs Renual and Remembrance project this year in Arlington National Cemetery. We did 18 acres with all the head stones in 1.5 hours with mostly people who don't mow their own lawns beside ever operated an aerator before.

It was an AWESOME but very humbling experience! I'm a West Point grad and have several close friends and classmates who are now buried there. We will do this every year!

ARL1.jpg

ARL2.jpg

ARL3.jpg

ARL4.jpg

ARL6.jpg

5. TheNatural

TheNatural LawnSite Member

I wish our cemetery didn't have flat markers like that, it would make the job a hell of a lot eaiser but I do think those units would work the best. I'm going to start working on the powers that be to start seriously thinking about buying at least one. If all goes well I'll be contacting you LawnSolutionCP when we're ready to pull the trigger on it. What's the delivery time on those units because we only have a small window left to aerate this fall up here in New England. Thanks for the info and those pics too. Those will come in handy when I'm trying to explain it's not as a difficult job as they might think.

6. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Hi David. Thanks very much for your service to this Country..thanks man. :usflag: I also appreciate your time & effort when you visited us and allowed us to try your new ride-on aerator.

Those pictures on this thread are very impressive. Thanks for donating your company's equipment at Arlington. We sure like our LS walk-behinds (especially for small/difficult lawns as well as for trimming). They work great for seed jobs too cuz one can aerate back & forth as many times as needed with minimal effort.

One thing I might mention -- the LS walk-behind aerators do not weigh as much as traditional walk-behinds (several advantages in regard to this.)

BTW does the "blonde" in pic #2 have a cell phone number? :laugh:

7. LawnSolutionsCP

LawnSolutionsCP Sponsor

I'm sure she has a cell phone but probably not going to give it out.

She really impressed me...

Well, I should explain that more. She had never run a mower before and was able to operate our aerators after training. Of course it was out in the open to start, but once she got used to them, she was zipping up and down through the cemetery. I was suprised.

8. EastCoast

EastCoast LawnSite Senior Member

David,

Awesome service you provided!!!

:):):)

9. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

10. RABBITMAN11

RABBITMAN11 LawnSite Bronze Member

Bob your such a tool!