Aerating / clay

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by dmegan, Apr 21, 2006.

1. dmegan

dmegan LawnSite Member

iput a pool in a few years back and for grading reasons the landscaper could only bring in a small amout of topsoil over a clay base.

The lawn is ok but very patchy. Question is I have see nthis product online, "aerify" which chemically breaks down clay soil. Any comments on this or similar chemical products. Another is Lazyman I think......

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

You can still plug it!! then put in some more seed:)

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I have been testing this product for about 4 months..not much change in the clay yet.

4. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Not to say it does not work...just that it has not worked where I can notice it yet.

5. stryper

stryper LawnSite Member
    from IL

I would say that's a pretty fair test...
    ...after that amount of time, I would go with "Snake Oil" on this product and move on.

But that's just me.:drinkup:

6. dmegan

dmegan LawnSite Member

if I have patchhy spots, yet the ground is pretty hard, would you slice seed or aerate? or both?

7. dmegan

dmegan LawnSite Member

Any truth to the addition of gypsum or is this a snake oil scamas well....I think whatineed is just to loosen up the clay so the roots can grow better

8. blaze347

blaze347 LawnSite Member

dmegan
    Do what dcondon suggested, and before you seed, "scratch" the ground slighty if there is not a lot of area to cover. I would also wait until fall to reseed...there are several reasons why, look at some previous posts regarding seeding.