1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

aerating, dethatching, fertilizing, overseeding?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by RX7, Feb 1, 2003.

1. RX7

RX7 LawnSite Member

I have heard people say different things about when is the best time to provide the following services: aeration, dethatching, fertilizing/pre-emergent, and overseeding. I understand that it depends on what area someone is in and what grass they have, but still I haven't seen a lot of consistency in people's advice. My business provides services in north Texas. Most yards here are St. Augustine or Bermuda or a combination of the two. Does anyone have opinions or ideas on the best time of year to provide these services?:confused:
  2. RX7

RX7 LawnSite Member

anyone? please:confused:
  3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

If you were going to do these only once a year the best time is:

Overseeding: warm season- 20-30 days before the first expected frost
    cool season-usually around the middle of August

Aeration and Dethatching should be done around late summer, early fall

cool season a late summer application
    warm season late spring
  4. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Search for one of Grndkprs (Jim) posts. I know he posted in the current "how come when you dethatch" or similarly named thread. Go to his Signature section and click on the generous link he has provided there. Once on that page, pick the closest link to your area, so that they will be posting info about warm season grasses. Then you can search your terms at those sites to get good info.
  5. Matt'slawncare

Matt'slawncare LawnSite Member

What happens if you dethatch in the spring, is it bad?
  6. tiedeman

from earth

go figure I am certified and I don't know what would really happen if you dethatch in the spring. I just know that it is recommended that you dethatch late summer, early fall. After the dethatching put down fertilizer and water the area throughly.
  7. RX7

RX7 LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice BRL and Tiedeman. Tiedeman- how does someone go about getting certified? What are you certified for?
  8. tiedeman

from earth

Certified Turfgrass Professional is what I am certified in....go to www.plcaa.org

they offer two types of certification through the university of georgia.
  9. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

RX7, us Yankees can't give you proper info on handling your warm season grasses. Perhaps no TX turf manager has looked at this thread, or they don't want to share, LOL. If you go to your state turfgrass association, there is a (much, much smaller) discussion board there where you may get better answers to this question.

10. RX7

RX7 LawnSite Member

Thanks tiedeman and Groundkprs. Those sites help a lot. :D