Aerating Dethatching overseeding

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky, Mar 30, 2003.

1. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

I have this lawn that has nice lawn over most of the property but the back and side portions have dead spots. Like the grass is there, but its laid down and dead nearly decomposed, I can rake it with my hands and it tears away and there is nice soil beneath. Any recommendations. I don't know how to approach this. This is the case on several of my customers lawns. Should I just aerate and seed the aeras? dethatch and seed, or just overseed the areas? cause just dropping seed on top of these spots....the seed will never reach the soil... I even thought of just going over the spotted areas with a rake and ripping and tearing to stirr it up and seeding it heavy and with starter fert.

please help
  2. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

please somebody
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Aerate (heavily) to break up the soil and decompossed areas and overseed should do it
  4. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

You have a few options. Think you might want to determine why the grass died there. Insects, chemicals?? First rectify that so it does not impede any corrective work.

Yes aerate thoroughly, seed, and apply 1/2" compost.
    or if possible, cut out the dead sections and piece in sod.

Did not see whre you were located, but I am no longer seeding here in SE Va. so keep time of year and watering by owner in mind when you repair.

Best to you.
  5. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

I ned more help, I like suggestions.
  6. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Do a soil test and play detective to find out what is killing the grass. I might be something as simple as these spots are where the water pools and this has killed the grass. Once you have determined the cause I would break the soil up in these spots and seed and fertilize. Let us know what you find out.

7. Got Grass?

Got Grass? LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a grub problem to me.
    Before you go all out seeding/etc... you need to figure out why the grass died in the first place.