Aerating/Dethatching

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Slcareco, Dec 6, 2004.

1. Slcareco

Slcareco LawnSite Senior Member

I've seen so many varietys of prices I thought I was good with .02 cents a sq ft + rental, then I relize alot of people have minimum charges 1-5 k someone help me and tell me what is in the ball park? Thanks

2. mastercare

mastercare LawnSite Senior Member

I've done aerating on my own for about 3 years.

Here's what I've seen as a range for fair prices:
    $10-15 per 1000 sq ft. I wouldn't do it per sq ft exactly. You'll spend more time measuring every little angle of someone's lawn and spend more time calculating than working!

I base the price on the size of the property. If its wide open I stay near $10-12 per 1k. If its littered with trees/obstacles I go near $15/1k.

As far as rental...I actually rent mine from my old employer.....pay next to nothing for it. For me its a great deal because I pay 1/4 of the normal rental price, and have no time limit for its use. He makes out good, becuase he knows he'll make $$ on a machine that otherwise just sits in the shop most of the season....and I used to operate that same machine so he knows I'll take care of it.

But, if you can't work out something like that, don't charge the rental price into your quote. Just get enough work to cover your costs, and do as many jobs on the same day as possible. Customers may feel uneasy if they know you're just renting the machine....makes them wonder about your experience.... might be ridiculous since we've all rented equipment, but sometimes people think that way.

3. Slcareco

Slcareco LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds good, but on a 1-5k lawn id have to charge the rental fee unless i charge like 75/1k lol i have down 20/k for aeration and 35/k for dethatching.. and the way i measure the lawn is from one end to the other