Aerating, do I need to rake up the dead grass?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Cheesedawg1, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Cheesedawg1

Cheesedawg1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

I plan on having my lawn aerated soon. But before I do I was going to rake up all the dead grass. Is this necessary? After doing all of this I was going to put winter fertilizer, seeds, and some of that lime stuff. What do you guys think? Should I rake the dead grass up? Or dont bother?

2. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

If it is alot of dead suface clippings and/ or thatch it could interfere with the seed making contact with the soil. Water and light making it to the seed could also be a problem. When in doubt, do the harder of your options. Rake the clippings up. Not to do so, in my opinion, is the height of laziness.

3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

A good aeration will pull up PLUGS not THATCH. No, you should not collect the plugs, they will decompose and micro-organisms that eat small amounts of thatch will be spread out and will eventually reduce the amount of that you have by a little bit. If you dethatch, then you need to rake it up.

4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Any damaged areas of turf that you intend to seed will need to be raked out for proper seed to soil contact. Then aerate, then seed the areas you raked out. Top dress with some peat moss or bagged tops soil

Ah well, some of the Carolina members have said something about topping with a sand.

They will be here and tell you what you need to know specific to your needs.........:)

5. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I saw a golf course guy on tv mixing a certain amount of sand with top soil and compost and using that to top dress before seeding. Haven't tried it, but I found it very interesting.

:D

6. Hole in 1

Hole in 1 LawnSite Member

If you have a heavy thatch layer then dethatch first. Be prepared for a truck load of grass when dethatching!
    But unless the thatch is really heavy then core aeratiing, seeding, fertilizing and top soil would do the job. And just leave the plugs, they will decompose.