1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Aerating equipment...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by allstar, Feb 14, 2004.

1. allstar

allstar LawnSite Senior Member

A few months ago I purchased a JD mower.At the time,for this particular mower,I received a free attachment along with the mower.I chose a pull-behind aerator which contains several rows of rotating spikes and a container for fertilizer or whatever.I've never done any aerating but it's definitely something I intend to learn about and start doing.
    Is this piece of equipment good enough to properly do this procedure or do I need something nicer and more expensive?Thanks.

2. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Most customers are going to want core aeration for sure. What you have is a spiker aerator. All this will do is poke tiny holes in the ground. You need something that is at least going to pull 2in cores up.

3. MudslinginFX4

MudslinginFX4 LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, people aren't going to pay you to use a spike aerator. You will have to get a core aerator. If money is tight and you don't want to buy one you can always rent one when you need it. I own a couple of aerators but last year I also had to rent some becuase we ended up using 6. Get the right equipment and aerating will be one of your biggest money makers.