Aerating help

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Classic Lawn, Apr 3, 2005.

1. Classic Lawn

Classic Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I have never aerated a lawn before and have a few people that want it done. I was just wondering if there is anyway you could ruin the lawn or is it fairly easy to do. I was also wondering how u charge for it i have two lots one in 3/4 of an acer and the other is just under a 1/2. both have hilly terrain and have easy access and if i would be able to use my zero with the bagger to pick up the thatch thanks for the help.

2. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I rented from Home depot a brand new machine to do mine. Worked awesome. Prepare for a workout. It will kick your a@@.
    I charge 3X whatever i mow for. Seems to work out about right for me. If your customers think thats to high, let them wrestle that bad boy. payup

3. Classic Lawn

i went to the local rental place they have one that you can ride on. i was thinking of charging them by the man hour what dose anyone think about this

4. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

If you are going to pull an aerater behind a mower go for it if you are going to rent a walk behind aerator dont bother with it not worth all the work especially on a hill and that big of a lot you will work yourself to death with a walk behind aerator.

5. Steve9

Steve9 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

OOOps..Forgot to say you have to have them turn on sprinklers so you can mark the heads for obvious reasons.
    You have to mow anything, let alone bag it. It may clean it up a little but totally unneccessary to bag!

BTW: You dont have to pick up the plugs either. I did have my neighbor convinced i put a Gypsum pellet in each hole them replaced the plug! HA HAAH :dizzy:

6. Classic Lawn

OOPS i just noticed that i put aerating it should be thatching help sorry about that guys

7. theturfsurfer

theturfsurfer LawnSite Member
    from mtka,MN

There is good money to be earned aerating. I charge 4 to 5 times what I charge for mowing. It can be hard work but it isn't that bad. I used to use a walk behind aerator and do around 10 1/2 acre lawns a day.

8. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

Drive the dethatcher straight and you shouldn't have a problem. Set the tines about 1/4 inch into the ground and lift in the corners. Mark the sprinkler heads before you start.

Good luck.

9. Classic Lawn

Thanks for the help guys dose anyone have any opinions on charging by the man hour

10. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

I think it depends on if you use a front mount dethatcher or a rear.

#193 7 to go to be a reg. :p