Aerating In Mn???

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by milsaps118, Sep 22, 2006.

1. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

With all of this rain are some of you guys still aerating in it? I have a big commercial job and just postponed it cuz I think the ground is to saturated to aerate, I'm worried about tearing up the turf and creating problems. What are some of you guys/gals doing?

2. Turfco Tim

Turfco Tim LawnSite Member

I have talked to several people in the Twin Cities today and they doing the same thing you and I are doing, sitting in the office.
    If the forecasters are right, ha ha, Sunday is supposed to be nice. I think everyone is banking on it to dry up enough by Monday to hit it again.

Enjoy your day!

3. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

You guys are doing the right thing to wait it out. You have till the ground freezes to get done. Aerating when it is too wet can do more damage than good. First the cores tend to not exit and stay in the ground. They are so wet and slick they stay in the hole and the roots hold them there so all you are doing is cutting a ring in the soil.
    Second. Wet slick soil tends to compact in the front of the hole and pack tighter as the tine slides out of the ground.
    third and most important. When it is too wet the soil does not fracture as the tine makes the X movement under the surface. This fracturing of the soil is one of the most important parts of the process next to the removal of the core.
    So, if the core stays in the hole and there is not fracturing all you are doing is burning gas. Better to stay home and service your equipment.

4. milsaps118

milsaps118 LawnSite Senior Member

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one holding tight. As far as "Enjoying my day", ... your right, I'm stuck in the office catching up on paper work and a ton of other things I've been putting off!!!!!:dizzy: :dizzy: I'd much rather be out making some $$$$$$$$. This office stuff is for the birds but someone has to do it.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Don't you northern guys have snow on the ground by now already? :laugh:

6. Turfco Tim

Turfco Tim LawnSite Member

We won't have enough snow to snowmobile on until at least Halloween!
    Milsaps,
    Not even a good Twins game to watch? Magic # is 6!