aerating in the rain?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Oct 10, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

I dont mind working in the rain...did it all day today...but I am so backed up with aeration and other work that I may have to push the envelope. My aerator is the LA 28 ...a tank...and by the way guys, when I posted a couple weeks ago about why it would not go up a hill, those of you who said it might be a belt too loose were exactly right...I found the adjustment bolts and it runs great right now....still a little slow but not as slow as b4 and walks up any hill with the tines down...ok back to my ?...I've never worked this machine in real steady rain on wet ground...while damp is good to pull cores, it would seem to be that at some point, too much moisture might make plug pulling ineffective...not sure I'm making any sense with this ?...anybody get my drift on this ?...thanks guys.

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

You're exactly right, Gary. Too much moisture is worse then not having enough. If you make more then one pass, it can get real muddy and you defeat the purpose of pulling those plugs.

You want the plugs to eventually grind up and return to the soil with repeat mowings, but they can't if you have glops of mud all over some one's lawn.

Takes a little practice to know when the soil is right for aerating.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

If the soil is to wet you will make the compaction even worse. It will not pull hardly any plugs. The tines will just push in and out.

4. GarPA

from PA

Rod and Eric...thanks for confirming my thoughts that there is a fine line between the right amount of soil moisture and too much...and my wife also thanks you for giving me a day off tomorrow!...this old body is pooped this month ...no complaints however...and you two guys have been an enormous help for quite some time..my best to both of you...G

5. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

To your wife, its my pleasure. Now tell her you need a back massage, dinner and a movie. Help to get you relaxed for your day off. ;) You keep it up, me and Rod may be asking you for a job. :)

6. Test for too wet.........

If you step on the lawn and you feet feel squishy on the lawn it is to wet to aerate.

I have done it in the rain but you must account for prior condisions before the present event.

How wet? How deep is it wet?

7. GarPA

from PA

Yeah right Eric...you're a young pup sitting behind the dispatch desk telling grunts like me what to do everyday....you must chuckle at us guys who do it all and then all of a sudden say "this is too hard a job"...that wont happen with me as I love the dirt and the results of a project well done...money isn't what I used to make but not far off....and I am sooo... much happier working for ME...

LGF..and thanks to you also...you 3 guys are part of the solid foundation of Lawnsite...along with others of course...but you 3 have been very helpful to me particularly