aerating is a waste of time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 4, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

this is what a landscaper, who has been in the business for 22 yrs full time said to me. he also says slice seeding is a waste of time. he claims the best way to seed it to dethatch, suck it up, and put the seed out with a rotary spreader. anyone agree with any of this?

2. GLADULANDSCPING

GLADULANDSCPING LawnSite Member

slice seeding works great if.................the customer waters, and keeps up with the proper care aftyer u leave!!!

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

No, don't agree! if slice seeders did not work they would not be on the market and cost a small fortune. Tell your landscaper thats why he's working for you and not in business on his own anymore.

Mac

4. khutch

khutch LawnSite Senior Member

I think that at about $75 per hour, aeration is a GREAT thing.
    I am also convinced that it improves almost all kinds of turf health when done correctly and at the right time in the growing season, i.e.bad time right now to aerate Bermuda and Zoysia lawns from Atlanta north.
    I have never seen any evidence to the contrary.

5. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

I don't know about your side of the country but in the NW aeration is a necessity. With all the rain and moss, soil compaction is a lawn killer. Also, thatch build-up is a serious problem which is controlled by aeration.
    I think your friend is pulling your leg or has been smoking something:blob3:

6. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I have so many irrigation systems on my lawns probably more then 60 of them have them. I have to pass on that as I would not want to be replacing all the sprinkler heads we would destroy. Does aeration work I honestly could not tell you iv seen it done I just have never seen any improvement on any of the lawns that had it done. That said of the nearly 200 accounts that I do work for this season not one has even asked for that service so I think I am going to pass on that.

On to your next item slit seeding I use bought and own a lesco renovator and while it is a bear to use it does work and it has great results. I use it for any and all touch up work

7. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

Aeration has great results around here. There are city lawns around here, some get no sun at all. This spring I aerated a few of them and seeded. The grass grew where there was never any grass. It stayed alive the whole season. This fall I'll be aerating and overseeding them again to get them really thick. IMO aeration is a good money maker and it makes the customers happy that they will have a thick lawn.

8. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

I think that aeration is a necessity as well. Maybe not every year but at least every 2 years. Heck, the compaction caused by our mowers is reason enough to do it. As far as irrigation system are concerned 100% of our clients have them. We either have them mark their heads or we do it for them. Just be sure to build it into the price, it can be time consuming.

9. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

It's amazing, Kelly's Landscaping, that none of your 200 clients ask for aeration. I have a lot fewer clients myself but all have their places aerated annually, and dethatched every two or three years. If you flag where the irrigation heads are you should be able to avoid them... that is unless if at the time your three sheets to the wind.

10. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

that's the way i've been doing it for 14 years... and peat moss also.
    not saying its better then aerating, cuz i've never done it. your friend just sucks it up? we run a rake through the property first, then suck it up..... by you know those city sized properties.