aerating lawns

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sticky, Mar 12, 2005.

1. sticky

sticky LawnSite Member

What is the real scientific purpose of aerating a lawn? If you don't fertilize afterwards, is it a waiste of time? What is the ideal deapth to achieve?

2. Green Masters

Green Masters LawnSite Member

The main purpose of aerating is to relieve compaction. It allows air to get around the roots. The average depth of aerating is 3 ". Make sure to use a core aerator that pulls out plugs.

3. bubba7728

bubba7728 LawnSite Member
    from Iowa

Aerating will help to promote root growth and relieve compaction. When aerating just make sure the soil is moist so you pull good plugs about 2" plugs are ideal.

4. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Silly question but since I do not aerate and many do I have and observation. I often hear people complain about ZTRs leaving ruts and weighing too much. Of more then 300 lawns I have cut with these types of mowers I have only seen this problem on 2 accounts. Is it possible that by relieving compaction that the ground becomes more likely to squish under the weight a 1500-2000 pound mower?

5. lampeslawnservice

lampeslawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

You made me think on that one, hmmm. I would have to say no, because it is only relieving compaction in that spot where the plug is removed. That hole get filled with other dirt and debris. Just a guess, not a rocket scientist though.

6. 1BadHawk

1BadHawk LawnSite Member

I thought it was good to aerate both in the spring and fall, and best if pre and post emerg are applied directly afterwards.

7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Who makes a 2000 pound mower that you would put on a residential lawn? That's a heavy mower. I think my Walker only weighs in the neighborhood of 1100 pounds.

8. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

IMO the only time to aerate is in the fall (take a look at the golf courses in your area as to when they aerate the fairways) for two reasons.

1. frost is natures way of expanding the soil in the winter, and loosening compaction. Aeration (Plug type) gives the ground more room to expand.
    2. The fall fertilizer mixes are usually heavier in the last two numbers, which are the nutrients necessary for root developement. Fall aeration followed by the fall fertilizer application allows the nutrients to get deeper, faster and more efficiently.

Thanks Brad

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

My Toro 325D's weigh around that much, so does a Ferris 5000Z Matt. I use my Toros lots of places.

10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Maybe that 2000# ZTR includes the driver ;)