Aerating New Sod

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by heygrassman, Apr 10, 2002.

1. heygrassman

heygrassman LawnSite Senior Member

How long before you would recommend aeration of newer sod (less than 6 months old).
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I always wait at least a year. It takes that long for the root zone to be established and take hold. I don't think it's a wise idea to run a 300 - 500lb machine over new sod pulling plugs up at the same time.

just my 2 cents.

3. lawnstudent

lawnstudent LawnSite Senior Member

With a roller or drum type aerator (lawnair IV, V, Classen, pull behind etc.) I have had problems on sod up to two years after installation.

4. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

About 3 months is plenty (during growing season). If it hasn't been able to root by then you should have aerated before you laid it!
  5. I have found that if the seams have grown together it has rooted well enough to aerate.
  6. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I accidently went over some sod that was laid last fall and oh boy am I glad I stopped the tractor and looked down. It began to roll the sod onto the aerator.

I don't recommend it. Made some ruts too. It was the homeowners mistake because he told me there were no problems or concerns prior to aeration, besides it was a friend.