1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Aerating! Nobody does it around here???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Dave Maher, Feb 8, 2005.

1. Dave Maher

Dave Maher LawnSite Member

After reading the posts on this forum for quite some time now, I decided to ask one of the larger landscaping in my area if they offer aerating, and much to my dismay his answer was no.
    He said in fact that doesn't know anyone in our northern part of New Jersey that does..
    Now, I've been to all kinds of seminars at Rutgers University in NJ and the topics always touch on the importance of aerating, slit seeding etc.
    My question to all of you is : Is this an untouched market that needs attention? Maybe as a niche company offering aerating, seeding etc.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated...
  2. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

My company offers it as an add-on to our existing customers. But we don't do full maintenance or installations, only lawn and shrub care.
  3. paponte

paponte LawnSite Silver Member

Yes, we offer the service. I also know companies in Northern NJ that offer it as well. Maybe the guy was yanking your chain, or isn't really as big as you thought. :)
  4. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

We are in central jersey and we do.
  5. Five Diamond Lawns

Five Diamond Lawns LawnSite Member

Yes it's a great niche market! Stop mowing and get into it big time. You'll like it a lot more than mowing and you'll make $50 an hour easy by yourself no employees needed. If your a larger company look into setting one person up doing aeration full time. I did it 2 years ago and now I have 2 full time aerators going March - June and Sept. - mid Nov. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$ :blob3:
  6. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

Yes we do and there is good money in both. We have (1) aerator Pluger by rock solid and (1) overseeder by bluebird. If I were you, I would get in the market.
  7. ChadA

ChadA LawnSite Senior Member

I'm beginning to test the waters on core aerating, Just to see if there is a market for it. I sent out letters with a little information and the benefits of aerating to all of my customers, I only have 15 now. And I've already got 4 lined up for April 4th. I called the utilty companies todays to have all cables and lines marked. I'm hoping at least 10 of them will want the service. I'm charging a flat rate of $75. I'm renting a W/B core aerator for $66 for the day with insurance. Plus I can do my yard.
  8. bigviclbi

bigviclbi LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

not a lawn guy but my understanding was aerating was only done once every couple of years. am i wrong on that?
  9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

We're in Hunterdon County and been doing it for years...one of our best money-makers.
  10. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Yes. Lawns should be aerated once a year. Ones with heavy traffic (athletic fields for example) can be done twice.