1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Aerating, Overseeding, and Fertilizing order?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Ric3077, Mar 22, 2006.

1. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ok I was just told by someone in the industry if I need to Aerate, Overseed and Fertilize a customer's lawn (all in the same day) that if I aerate 1st and then seed and then fertilize, that the seed will fall in the plug hole and the fertilizer will fall on top of it and burn the seed. He suggested to fertilize, then aerate, and then seed...has anyone else heard of this? Please let me know what method you think is best, thanks! :waving:
  2. Prolawnservice

Prolawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I think its best to come back with the fert after the seed has germinated. Then follow up with a few other apps every two to three weeks.
  3. Ric3077

good point...I may do that thanks! Any one else have any thoughts? :walking:
  4. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

IMO scu or other slow release ferts will not burn the seed at the time, or immediately after, of seeding. We use the same fert hydroseeding as we do in dry overseed situations.
  5. Ric3077

Sod Kind, you think 12-12-12 will be ok at the time I overseed? and what do you think of the Pats losing the best kicker there ever was!
  6. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

i never heard that what he might of meant that after germination to much nitrogen can burn the seed. on starter fert. try to get a 1-2-1. example 10-20-10 or 15-30-15 something like that. you want to get 1lb nitrogen 2lbs phosphurus and 1 lb potash. phosphurus is key to seed germination and the nitrogen will help feed the newly germinated seed.
  7. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

That formulation sounds like Ag grade. Look towards a product like Lesco's 18-24-12, I have had great success using that as my starter fertilizer.

I can't believe the Pats let him go either...I believe he was the highest scorer on the team as well...
  8. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

If you fert at the same time you seed you will be feeding what is already there not the new plants. The existing growth will be stronger & healthier. This will make them a stronger competitor to the new plants when they do Germinate. Wait on the fert till the new plants have roots down then use a good starter fert to keep from burning the new roots and plants. Why make the competition stronger ahead of time.