Aerating/Overseeding Help

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Pietro, Oct 4, 2006.

1. Pietro

Pietro LawnSite Senior Member

Okay so im not a moron and Im sure I can figure out how to get this done. Heres what im planning on doing......

Ive got 25 clients who want me to aerate/overseed their front lawns. I can rent the aerator from home cheapo for 65$ for the day.......I get good Jonathan Green seed for 43$ a 25lb bag.......im going to just walk behind the aerator and then use my spreader to overseed? Is it THAT easy? What are the tricks/best ways to get it done the right, best, and fastest way? Im thinking my partner and I can do all 25 in 1 day, starting at 7am. What do you think?

Also, what are you guys charging to do this? Ballpark figures of course.

Thanks! -Pete

2. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

If you and your partner can do all 25 in one day you are better men than I.

The only thing I know about aerating is it is great for the lawn and those machines are clumbsy.

I charge 70. for a 1/4 acre lot, 45. for an 1/8 acre lot

The seed you are using, is it good for both sun and shade lawns?

seed starter fertilizer the week before does help increase germination.

3. Pietro

yes, the mix is actually called "Sun Shade". Now I should do this towards the end of the season right? Aerate AFTER the last cutting week......I mean u dont cut the lawn after you over seed it......................right?

4. MarkintheGarden

I think you do want to mow new grass! If the grass blades are tall enough to touch in wet conditions this will be a cause for turf grass diseases. I am overseeding and seeding bare spots now, I expect to mow these lawns a couple more times this season.

5. dcgreenspro

dcgreenspro LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

little late for the aerifying but you can probably get it in. I charge $22/m. You want to use the best seed possible and jonathan green ain't it. You want something that is 100% weed free and contains no crappy stuff like annual rye, poa triv. Aerating charges are nomally $10-13 depending on how hard it is going to be, how hilly. Hope this helps. Markinthegarden, I have no idea what you meant by "If the grass blades are tall enough to touch in wet conditions this will be the cause for turfgrass disease." No, it will not!

6. DoetschOutdoor

DoetschOutdoor LawnSite Bronze Member
    from S. IL

I have no idea what the weather is like in NJ right now but you might be okay if you get it all done this weekend. I hope that your 25 lawns are really really small because that might be alot for 1 aerator and 2 operators in a day. I did 12 average size lawns a few wkends ago and that was starting at 8am and not finishing till 8pm. IMO having 2 operators is a waste when aerating unless you have 2 aerators bc it will only take you a few mins to overseed these lawns after you've aerated.
    For best results, you have to go at least 2 different ways on the lawns and pull good plugs. Watch out for sprinkler systems and an aerator will crack a sidewalk or driveway if you decide to get a little close to the concrete. Pretty much common sense when running these and dont plan on getting out of bed the next day bc aeration beats you up.

7. MarkintheGarden

Markinthegarden, I have no idea what you meant by "If the grass blades are tall enough to touch in wet conditions this will be the cause for turfgrass disease." No, it will not![/QUOTE]

Something I learned when I studied horticulture. Fungal pathogens are active in moist wet conditions, moisture is trapped between blades of grass when they get stuck together, creating an optimum invironment for the fungal pathogens.

This is why we have great results when we mow turfgrass at the minimum height for the species of turfgrass.

But hey, I will take your word for it and ignore what my professor taught and throw away my turfgrass science and management manual based on your post.:dancing:

8. MarkintheGarden

According to Turfgrass science and management, by Robert Emmons, under post seeding care, he reccomends that seedling turfgrasses be mowed for the first time when they reach a height of 50% greater than the anticipated mowing height.

So if you mow cool weather grasses at 3 inches then the first mow of the seedlings should be at 6 inches. This is an exception to the top one third mowing rule that this author strongly reccomendeds.

9. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

My turf professors @ uconn say otherwise. Cutting 3" off a new seedling is very stressful, we were instructed to mow when it reached the desired mowing height and mow it regularily. It will put more growth into the roots if you're taking it off the top.

10. Pietro

Well its a 2 man operation because were parters lol......we are getting just 1 aerator thou, one will aerate, the other will seed, then the next house we switch. Im going to be doing this service in like 2-3 weeks, this way its towards the end of the season.......and we wont lose cutting money! The fall has just started here, and the november days are just like the octobers.......cool and a nice dew on the ground in the am.