Aerating/Overseeding this weekend - question

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by bderks, Sep 16, 2005.

1. bderks

bderks LawnSite Member

I'm planning to aerate/overseed my acre lawn this weekend (Kansas City area), and have a question. The lawn is in overall good shape, I'm just hoping to thicken it up some by overseeding with a Macho tall fescue blend. I currently have the grass cut down to 3 inches - should I cut it down shorter before I aerate? Also, should I fertilize after seeding, or wait until the spring? Thanks for any help.

Cheers,
    Brandon

2. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

Cut it to 2" is optimal.

Ferilize with a starter fert now 18-24-12 AM (4#/1000) and then high N fert in 4 weeks with 1.5#N.

3. bderks

bderks LawnSite Member

Thanks Lonnie, will do.

4. FIRESCOOBY

FIRESCOOBY LawnSite Senior Member

Hey Lonnie, may I ask why cutting it to 2". I too will be overseeding my Fescue NEXT weekend. I plan on aerating then seeding. I cut it currently at 3.5" and we haven't have rain in 2 weeks. I've been watering fairly well, but need rain.

I am in Northeast Georgia and 80% of yard gets full sun all day. I was afraid that cutting it too short would be unhealthy. If I do cut it to that height, should I continue to for the rest of the season?

Sorry for the thread hijacking.

5. LonniesLawns

LonniesLawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from KS

Cutting the lawn short, NOT scalping allows light to reach the soil which gerass needs to germinate. Alos, it gives you more time before you will have to mow existing lawn -- allowsnew grass to mature.