"Aerating & overseeding" vs "slice seeding"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by dfor, Aug 27, 2002.

1. dfor

dfor LawnSite Senior Member

Looks like a lot of lawns are going to need seeding this fall. Which method do you prefer? What is the seed germination rate with either method? I am leaning toward doing aerations and overseeding.

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I think I read somewhere that if you just through the seed down, there is 15% germination rate. Vertislice bumps it up to 60%.
    I have a Jacobsen overseeder and I believe they claim a 98% germination rate. I don't have any proof of this information, just going off what I think I remember seeing.

MATT

3. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

It seems logical that the slit seeding would be more better. You would definetly have a better seed to soil contact. I have been pushing slit seeding with the aerations this year, and there are a few that are biting at them. Most of the customers want it aerated and overseeded. :confused: You know what, thats what they pay for then thats what they get. The more I think about it, it didn't do too bad last year just spreading it out after aerating, and some straw on the bare spots.

I will keep tract of the ones that I slit seed, and compare for them next year. It might change some minds next year.