Aerating & Overseeding

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by cpllawncare, Oct 27, 2011.

1. cpllawncare

cpllawncare LawnSite Silver Member

I've done several core aeration and overseeding jobs this past season, my question is does using a broadcast spreader count as overseeding, or do I need to be renting a true overseeder?

2. jequigle

jequigle LawnSite Member

I don't see why you would need to rent a true overseeder. All the golf courses I have worked on in the past use a broadcast spreader..

3. turfcobob

turfcobob LawnSite Senior Member

I would say that if you are getting around 14 holes per sq ft and broadcasting seed into them yu are doing a good job. Too make it even better you could let the cores dray a bit and drag the lawn to break up the cores a bit and drag the seeds into the holes / turf.

4. cpllawncare

Thanks, that's exactly how I've been doing it! I'm using a criss cross pattern when I'm aerating so I'm sure I'm getting enough holes. What is the best thing to drag an existing lawn with? I've been using an old set of tires.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  5. DIXIECONTRACTING

DIXIECONTRACTING LawnSite Senior Member
    from NY

A piece of Chain link fence works good.

6. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

Where does seeding grass 2-3" deep appear in seedbed literature? Keep us informed whether those green plugs for the deep holes are still around next July 4th...

7. cpllawncare

What are you suggesting?

8. Smallaxe

I'm not suggesting anything... I'm asking a professional question.... i.e. How does planting grass seed in 2-3" holes actually establish turf?

Are you suggesting that the best lawns in America are established by germinating grass seed in 2-3" holes, spaced 1-4" apart?... :)

9. cpllawncare

Not by any means, I'm not an expert by any means either, just saying. I'm not trying to establish a new lawn I'm just aerating and overseeding, i would imagine that a slit seeder would be best for establishing a new lawn? that's just a guess though.

10. Smallaxe

Consider this... What is the purpose for aerating... why would one sow seed after aerating, other than repairing the damage caused by aerating...

My problem is the idea of turning it into an overseeding strategy without ever aerating enough to level into a seedbed[/]b...

That is what bothers me and it is what I may be suggesting... :)