Aerating Question?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Dunn's, Sep 14, 2006.

1. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

ok so first question how long does it take to aerate an average 7,000 square foot lot. We are thinking of renting an aerator for $15 dollars an hour two hour minimum. I was thinking it would take 2-3 hours so $45 dollars for rental.With the price starting at $90 dollars and working it's way up from there to about $140. what do you guys think is this to high or low and do people who call about aerating really want the work or are they just like most people for lawn service. They want it done but don't want to do it themselves, but don't want to pay you to do it either.All comments welcomed.

2. littlenic

littlenic LawnSite Member

My min. is $100 to aerate, I normally charge 3 times what I would charge to mow. I also up-sell fertilizer at the same time because it is the perfect time to get water/air/fertilizer to the root zone. My min. is due to the time it takes to get setup to aerate, Getting the equipment loaded and tied down and such and I own the aerator already. Just my 2 cents. Also If it's a large lawn with irrigation, I charge $35 extra to mark/flag the irrigation heads and I walk the property with the owner to I.D. and flag the value boxes. Make sure you let them know it will damage anything that is buried less than 3".

Hope this helps, good luck, littlenic

3. Dunn's

4. scholzee

scholzee LawnSite Member
    from NY

If they have a dog make sure to ask about those invisible fences or buried wires they are usually pretty shallow.

5. lisam

lisam LawnSite Member

Dear Mr. Dunn, The Time Will Depend On The Aerator You're Renting. In Our Ryan Literature For The Lawnaire Iv, It Specifies Up To 29,000 Square Feet Per Hour, And That's Probably Average, But Littlenic Is Right, Don't Forget Your Rental Charge, Time To Go Get It, Gas, And Labor In Figuring The Price To The Customer. Hope This Helps! P.s. I'm From Power Equipment Warehouse!

6. Dunn's

Thanks guys. I didn't think about the dog fences any other things I should look out for guys.

7. Dunn's

Ok question number three. how easy are the bluebird aerators to use. Is it pretty much just back and forth like mowing lawns or is there any special technique to use.

8. lisam

lisam LawnSite Member

Dear Mr. Dunn, Core Aerator's Bounce A Little, And Are More Cumbersome To Use Than A Lawn Mower, And Don't Forget The Little "turds" They Leave Behind. The Yard Will Look A Little Messy Until They Decompose. Good Luck!

9. littlenic

littlenic LawnSite Member

It's worth the 3 times mowing cost after the end of the day. And the Ryan Lawnaire Iv seems that it would really put you through a workout especially turning.

littlenic

10. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

I Have A Snapper Power Plugger. I Re-worked Mine So It Looks Like The Front Of A Shopping Cart. Turns Nice And Easy!