Aerating questions Pricing, Time

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by fastpitcher, Dec 7, 2003.

1. fastpitcher

fastpitcher LawnSite Member
    from PA

I will be aerating this spring for a few of my mowing customers and I have a few questions. I did do a search and could not find these answered. I have already determined from other posts that I should charge any where from $13 to $20 per 1000 square feet.

Question 1: When measuring a yard do I subtract the house or is it the total property?

Question 2: How long will it take to complete a 10k house using a Plugr (65 Hoss I know you know this one) or a Ryan 28.

Question 3: Will I need to use extra or special fertilizer other then a pre-emerg because I am doing this in the spring?

Last question: I have read a lot about using soil conditioners after aerating. I am in the north east (Pocono area). Can anyone tell me what I should use for this. And do soil conditioners come with iron? From my readings it seems like it is added to it.

2. grassworks

grassworks LawnSite Member

Question 1 - subtract the sq.ft of house
    Question 2- Time depends on the quality ,with a LA 28 , a good job could be done in less than 1 hour with seed/fert
    Question 3 - Use starter Fert or something lower in nitrogen than 20% But NO PREEMERGENT (prevents seed growth)
    last question - top dressing is quite beneficial but I have never included iron if in fact you are providing a starter fertilizer. I suppose this is a cool season turf since your in PA.

3. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Don't use pre-emergents unless you are licensed. I can do a 10K lawn with a bluebird aerator with only a 18" spoon width and take me probably 40 minutes. So the two that you mentioned will do faster than that.

4. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I dont really advise at all aerating/seeding in spring, due to the fact of not being able to use pre-m. Crabgrass loves those cores also. If they are not worried about weeds them by all means seed it. If you must power seed. ANd do it early.

5. pcnservices

pcnservices LawnSite Senior Member

Fall aeration is recommended. Apply a heavy rate of balanced fertilizer with micro nutrients for the developement of the roots system.
    Good Luck
    PC

6. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

"Question 1: When measuring a yard do I subtract the house or is it the total property?"

Just love the school system over here.

$13-$20 per sq ft . Cant see anybody paying $250 to have a 1/4 acre aerated.

7. fastpitcher

fastpitcher LawnSite Member
    from PA

kootoomootoo
    Have you done any research on this subject on this sight? That price is exactly what everyone in other threads have posted. And being sarcastic, why? This whole site is set up for us to learn from each other. I am going into a new service for us. Is it wrong to make sure I have all the facts I need. If you do not have a good helpful comment; then do not.

8. BravesFan

BravesFan LawnSite Member

Figure 2-3 times the cost of mowing for aeration. If you mow for $35, charge $69 to $99 to aerate.

If you're fertilizing, seeding, and liming too...charge accordingly.

You could easily get $150-$200 (on a $35 mow yard) for a complete package.

Dennis

9. leeslawncare

leeslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

I charge 10 per k to areate 23 per k to seed areate an fert .I subtract the house an drive way.Ii try not to do it in the spring unless they (the homeowner) insist,the it's a done deal no garentee in writeing .All i say is i did it an i put down what i said i would.I'll evenn leave the bags there if they want me to .

10. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

$13 to $20.00 per K to aerate sounds really high to me also. I charge around $7.00 per K depending on degree of difficulty. Sometimes a little less if overseeding the whole yard. Most yards around here that I do are 20K and up. A price in the range of 13 to $20/K would scare a lot of people off but your area could be different.