Aerating rates

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ranger520, Sep 11, 2002.

1. ranger520

ranger520 LawnSite Member

How much do you guys charge for aerating. and how many holes per 1000/ft is adequit? I have heard anywhere from 7000 to 20000.

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

My rule of thumb for aerating is price per cut X 3. Steep grades result in a higher price.

3. tailoredlook

tailoredlook LawnSite Member

I usually charge $75 for every 10k sf. Hills cost alittle more. And $45 hr if the customer wants the cores removed.
  4. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

I usually charge anywhere between 1 1/2 - 2 cents per sq.ft. I know that many others charge 1 cent (or less) per sq.ft., but I feel that manhandleing most walk behind aerators is a lot more labor and time intensive than mowing with a walkbehind, you are beat by the end of a full day of aerations ... much more so than a full day of cutting. Plus there is a immediate as well as long term benefit for the customer which should be worth the additional expense. Most customers would have to pay at least $60 to rent a core aerator for a few hours. Then they would have to find a way to transport it to and from their home. Plus they would have to flag all theiur sprinkler heads, learn how to operate the machine and not take out half their flower beds, etc. So with us having to make a minimum of about $1400 investment, for soemthing we only use for a short period maybe twice a season, plus our labor and effort, we should be charging accordingly. I don't think that just because many others decides to give their time, labor, and investment away for an inexpensive price, that we all should. I take my time, don't leave any gaps between runs and give at least 7 cores per sq.ft. That has got to be worth more than a penny per sq.ft. ....