aerating + seeding didn't work out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Sep 17, 2004.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

my standard procedure is : thatch, aerate, powerseed, fert. i did a few like this, and have alot of new grass in a weeks time. the ones i did two weeks ago, look great too. now, i've read here where you guys say "no need to thatch, just aerate and seed." well, i tried it, today i visited the ones i did like this over 2 weeks ago. the results were TERRIBLE. no new grass. what's the deal?

2. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

Did you use the seed specifically engineered for use after aeration?????

3. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

Bobby, the thatching sliced rows in the lawn,and just allowed more seed soil contact. Now I do alot of aer & seeding and alot of slice seeding, doing both together is a little overkill, but the results would be better on certain lawns.

BTW, what is powerseed?

4. Nitro Junkie

Nitro Junkie LawnSite Member
    from va

and how do you know if the seed you have is "engineered" for post aeration ?

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

powerseed = sliceseed. overkill or not, the results are excellent. and, serve two different purposes. i don't aerate for seed to germinate, i aerate to relieve compaction. i powerseed (sliceseed) for contact/aid in germination. just this once i tried as others have said, on only a couple of lawns, and had horrible results. they tell me not need to power rake dead areas, they tell me no need to powerseed. they tell me to aerate and seed. this worked out very very bad. yea sure ken, i used the special "only after aeration " grass seed mixture :rolleyes:

6. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

Bobby was the aerator you used specially enhanced for after aeration seed application :D.

I have never really understood the aerate and seed program, little clumps of seedlings all over the yard ??? or seed that drops into a 3" deep hole. I prefer to slice seed or power rake seed, with or without aeration, for us to aerate or not to aerate doesn't seem to affect the germination rate of the seed.

Liberty Lawncare likes this.
  7. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have wondered about this for a long time. I thought it would never work either, but everyone tells me (on LS) it gives great results. Well, today was my first...aerate then broadcast seed....I dont know, but we will see. I took some before pics. I also read where someone would go over the lawn dragging a piece of chain link fence to break up the plugs. I am guessing this might bury some seeds somewhat. I have about 1/3 acre in the backyard.....I think I will do some expiermenting here in the next week and provide before and after pics.

8. KenH

KenH LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

:D :D It takes years of professional experience.

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Bobby, at what rate per K did you put down seed after aerating?

10. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Bobby,Bobby,Bobby...
    I told you that you would need to get yourself a better aerator than what you have been using.

[​IMG]

This just won't give you good results, you should have listened to me. :p

Liberty Lawncare likes this.