aerating, seeding, fert. on 4 acres

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by work_it, Sep 9, 2003.

1. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

I'm new to aerating and need some advice. I've never bid a job this size and would like to know what most of you would charge for aerating, overseeding, and fertilizing 4+ acres. The property is set on a hill with a 20 to 30 percent grade in the front and level in the back. Some of the areas have hard compacted soil. I don't have a rider to attach it to and need to know what to rent to do this job. If possible could you also give me a bottom line $$$ amount. What should I expect to pay for seed (fescue blend), and fert.? Any help is appreciated, thanks!

P.S.-I did a search on this subject and came up with some ideas, but would like some more input.

2. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I would recommend a tractor and 60" tow behind (or 3 point). If the soil is hard you will probably need to stack about 2-300 pounds on it. Depending on how thin the turf is.. you could need 1200-1700 pounds of seed. Cost for seed could be .70 - .85 per pound.

It will cost you approximately $1500 in materials plus equipment rental.

I think bottom line should be around $3500

3. Hole in 1

Hole in 1 LawnSite Member

I agree with with Lawn-Scapes on the equipment and price ($3500 BOTTOM LINE) And if some of the area is really compacted I would recommend Gypsum to the customer as well. I use "best" brand "Soil Buster". but for that size of job pellatized Gypsum by the truck load.

4. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm guessing you are overseeding and aerating an existing turf area.
    100 lbs -125 lbs of seed per acre rebell supreme is $35 for 25 lbs
    starter fert.[no lisc. nec] 2.5 bags per acre of lesco 15,000 sq ft $20 per bag
    check soil ph and use pelletized lime to correct following recomendations on bag.
    rent the biggest aerator you can as well as a walk behind for areas a tractor wont go. the price above seems fair to my calculator. I get $200- $250 for a !/4 acre for aeration, 25 lbs seed, starter fert., and lime. Oh yeah! play it safe and save some seed for a call back just in case or set aside some profit to cover cost of going back to touch up area that did not germinate due to whatever reason!! price all your jobs to cover the cost of having to follow up on some petty thing and you will not fear the phone ringing.

5. work_it

work_it LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks again guys. $3500 seems to be a reasonable price. I was considering adding $120-$180 for future touch ups since a large area like that could possibly need a few. Does that sound fair, or would you add more to cover seed, fert., lime, or gypsum? Keep in mind that I will rent any equip. necessary, and thanks again.

6. SUGAR_CUT_MARK

SUGAR_CUT_MARK LawnSite Member

$3,500 for doing all that work for 4 acres is quite inexpensive IMO!!. the formula per square feet i as welll as others use is $.02 per square foot is pretty right on for aeration and $.02 per square foot for overseeding and fert. combined
    One acre is 48,400 Sq Feet, x 4 =193,600 Square feet!
    $.04 Sq Foot for Aerate,Overseed and Fert comes to $7,744.
    lemme know if u agree or disagree. For $3,500 when u factor in equipemnt rental, materials and Labor u r left with not much
    PHP:
    Mark's Clean Cut Lawn Care, Grand Blanc, MI

7. Lawn-Scapes

How many 4 acre/$8,000.00 aeration and seed jobs have you sold?

8. SUGAR_CUT_MARK

not one. but tell me what formula you would use to arrive at an estimate?

9. Lawn-Scapes

Around here the square footage for 1 acre is forty three thousand five hundred and sixty feet.

For this estimate I chose $20 per thousand.

10. SUGAR_CUT_MARK

k. i thought an acre was 220ft by 220ft