Aerating/Seeding question

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Zebop, Sep 8, 2003.

1. Zebop

Zebop LawnSite Member

A simple question I hope the experts here can answer: I will be aerating my lawn this week, and I also have to fix some uneven spots in the lawn. Should I spread topsoil first, then run the aerator, or the other way around? If I aerate first, won't the topsoil fill the holes? Seems counterproductive to me. Thanks in advance!

2. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

If you plan on seeding, better off spreading topsoil first as if the seed is buried too deeply your germination rate may be small.

3. Zebop

Zebop LawnSite Member

Yeah, I forgot to mention, I plan on overseeding. So you say the process is: spread topsoil, run aerator, seed, fertilize. I've never run an aerator. Any tips?

4. subdube

subdube LawnSite Member
    from NC

I like to run the aerator in circles it seems to do better for me. And i go over it many times i also put the seed and fertilizer out first.

5. Zebop

Zebop LawnSite Member

Yeah, I forgot to mention, I plan on overseeding. So you say the process is: spread topsoil, run aerator, seed, fertilize. I've never run an aerator. Any tips?

6. GLAN

GLAN Banned

Aerate first

put the top soil where it is needed, rake smooth and level

apply seed, rake in the see with the soil lightly, apply fert.

keep moist every day 2 weeks. Then water water everyday, 2 weeks later water every other day

7. Zebop

Zebop LawnSite Member

Thanks, all. I appreciate the help. One other thing, I decided to do the work myself after getting a price of $400 plus tax for aeration and overseeding. The guy estimated my yard to be approx. 12,000 sq. feet. Is this a fair deal in the business?

8. GeorgiaGrassMan

GeorgiaGrassMan LawnSite Member

Sounds like a fair price if he does good work.

9. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Zebop,

If your just going to put soil for leveling purposes, put the soil down, maybe some light tamping, then aerate...

But if you are continuing with the soil over the rest of the yard, to topdress, I would punch the holes first. scraper mentioned lowering chances of good germination, could be. The wind/rain could pick up the shallow ones to. Roll the dice on that....

For the sake of my argument:

1. Grade your area
    2. Aerate
    3. Overseed
    4. Topdress, but add some compost, manure, or peat to the soil you spread. maybe LIGHT raking
    5. Water thoroughtly and keep moist
    6. Since it's your yard, and you visit it everyday, wait a couple weeks and add chemical fertilizer.

The little holes are going to cave in, get some nutrients into the soil, into the little holes. Straight to the roots.

Plus, you've made your soil more porous and less compact, which is never counterproductive.

10. Jeff11

Jeff11 LawnSite Member

Holy Crap! $400 for aerating and overseeding of 12K sq. ft.?
    Wow! I would feel like I was ripping off my customers if I charged $100. Sure hope that price includes the topdressing of a really good soil mixture. Don't understand how Grassman can call that a fair price, unless I'm the idiot and am doing something severely wrong (which, of course, could easily be the case).