Aerating & seeding

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by theWRIGHTcut, Sep 21, 2009.

1. theWRIGHTcut

theWRIGHTcut LawnSite Member

concerning fall clean up, etc. how do you guys aerate and seed? a customer of mine wants me to aerate his lawn then seed it. what type of seed would i use?

thanks for any responses

2. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

To be honest, you should seriously do some research. What one guy uses for his area isn't the choice for another. Not trying to cut you down at all. Your research will allow you to answer with knowledge any questions your customer may have. It's easy to recognize the lack of knowledge or uncertainty in an answer. You could lose the respect of a good customer if you shoot from the hip.
    We have great success with Tall Fescue in our area (eastern Kansas). We make sure to get an excellent blend that is tested and proven by Kansas State University for this area.
    A little research will get you on top of things for sure.
    Please take this as constructive criticism and proven advice.
    Good Luck!

3. theWRIGHTcut

yeah i wouldn't be offended by anyone's suggestions, comments, advice, it's evident that I am not up to date on aerating....

i will be purchasing my first tow behind aerator later this afternoon hopefully. it is an aerator/seeder combo unit.

I guess i should have directed my question towards those working out of new jersey or areas close by...

lol this is how i do research! thanks br549oicu8

4. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

don't waste your money on this POS. it will be a spike type aerator. You want a plug type

5. theWRIGHTcut

ohhh alright, i assumed it was a plug aerator but now i'm looking at it, it looks like stirrups...

plug it is then.... i can get a brinly for around $40, 40" may i add... anyone own this ? i rigged a nice little mount on the back of my wright sentar for pulling seeders and various other **** around

6. Kutz Lawns

Kutz Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

I've had really good results with this seed last fall overseeding my own yard and on a customers lawn. It spreads like a Zoysia type grass and fills in bare spots and it's the only tall fesque on the market that does this. I bought it from Home Depot and it was like $48 for a very large bag. Good Luck

http://www.vigoro.com/BrandNav/HelpfulHints/Grass+Seed.htm

7. theWRIGHTcut

perfect i'll go check it out today, my old man runs a HD nearby

does anyone own a plug aerator that spreads as well? or does that not exist?

it's no big deal if i had to aerate then spread, i have a tow broadcast spreader. in my mind it would just be double the work = double the $$$

8. EagleGrounds

EagleGrounds LawnSite Senior Member

I plug/core aerate then spread around here. Since 90% of the yards round here are a fescue or blue grass, i take a gamble and fescue/bluegrass mix available at homedepot with a spreader when im done aerating. If i notice that their grass is different i check with them on the type they have planted.

I have one guy with a one type is his front yard, and a different in his back (can't remember the types, but they are goofy).

9. theWRIGHTcut

i have a guy with a front lawn that's half and half.... it is really odd looking, but when it's the prime of the season the stripe takes away from the idiotic look

10. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I do a lot of this. We also use a tow-behind core aerator, it works well. I then use a spreader to spread about 2 lbs of seed per 1000 sq/ft of lawn. My seeding price is about the same as the aeration price.