Aerating Short Cut

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky, Aug 2, 2003.

1. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

Well, I've been thinking about this one, and someone help me decide if this is a good idea.

I own a 42" 21HP Husqvarna rider and have been thinking that aerating is a pain.... As if we didn;t know..........

A good way to get around this would be to attach a pull behind aerating (42" or slightly smaller) and pull it through the properties. Purchase a mantis with attachments to aerate to get the hard to reach smaller places and go like that, should cut my aerating time WAY down, but most of all cut the labor dramatically and generate more Revenue by doing so.

What do you guys think? What has been your experience with the pull behind aerators, I'll have to get use to pulling a 400 lb aerating with a ZERO TURN...might be tricky, just have to watch what I'm doing and not trap me and my mower in a corner jack-knifed. These properties are smaller usually 1/4 in size, but with the 42" and mantis combo, this should not be a problem with manuvering, even through most gates.

Saves me the expense of buying a WB aerator,, and labor..

Well, what have you???

and you can;t pull one with a WB mower--- so I guess its a good thing I was lazy and purchased the 42" rider for the tight areas and smaller yards, and not the CHEAPER 36" WB huh???

2. Might work for SPIKE aeration
    but pull behind core aerators I found one I like it is only $22,000.00 It is used at gold courses pulls up 7" cores.

But otherwise the pull behind core aeration you can get at Sears, Home Dept, Ect will pull up 1/2 " if your lucky.

You could just do the SPIKE aeration but then you loose one of the major benifits....
    Releaf of COMPACTION.

You cant releave compaction if you just compacted the dirt with the spike.

STICK WITH THE PAIN OF THE WALK BEHIND AERATOR

3. broken leg

broken leg LawnSite Senior Member

I use a lesco pullbehind and a billygoat walk behind you have to keep the chain clean of debre or it will break otherwise it is great. You don't have to manhandle it. I pull the lesco with a 23hp toro z.

4. I use the BILLY GOAT EZ AIR.
    I love it

No problems with it yet

5. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

This is one you really want to do a search on since this was covered very extensively.

We use a New Holland 21D with a 48" (?) classen aerator on 3 pt hitch. Wouldn't do it any other way. 3 pt hitch is great for when you come to sidewalks or sprinkler heads.

6. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

Well I think we are deviating from the original quetion. Will it work at all, if so in my case what areator is a good choice. I have not experience with pull behind, but I know that I have seen the 42" (some name brand) weigh in the range of 450 to 500lbs,,,thats going to do more than a 1/2 " plug..

comments?

7. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Above, please find your original questions!

How is anyone "deviating" from the "original" question?

Everyone told you what they used or what they thought?????

8. Husky

Husky LawnSite Member

I wanted to know what is a good pull behind aerator in that size, and weither or not the idea holds water....

Sorry if I soudned angry, I love any advice no matter what type...

I also like hearing about peoples choices, and their experience...

9. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Just wondering - what is a 3 point hitch and how does it work. Are there other types of hitches. I assume it applies to pull-behind type aerators. How big of a mower would I need to pull one. My ZTR has no hitch. Would a rear - engine JD work (it only has an 8hp, although when it dies I will replace it with a 13hp because the mower is in great shape, but it is geared low and will pull nearly as strong as my atv)? Thanks.

10. hubb

hubb LawnSite Member

A 3-point hitch is the kind of hitch you see on farm tractors. They usually are controlled with hydraulics and you won't see them on any Z's.