AERATING TOO LATE

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by HOMER, Dec 15, 2000.

1. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

What would be the effects of aerating this late in the year? I want to do my own yard and overseed with rye but was told by a wise man not to do it this late as the grass won't recover. I understand that but what would happen if I did it anyway? It looks bad now anyway after the drought we had, I think it could only get better. Anybody ever used "rye" vs. "annual rye grass", boy these fields around here sure do look tempting. These farmers might see me in one soon with the big Chopper making stripes!

"GET OUT THE WAY COW, I GOTTA MOW SOMETHIN' HERE"

Back to the issue. What would happen next spring if I did it now? The grass would grow back in regardless. Fertilize real good, maybe aerate again huh?

AHHHHHHHHHHHH................COME ON................I GOTTA SEE GREEN.....................I'M DYIN HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HELP
    I'M GETTIN' REAL DEPRESSED...........AND IT'S STILL 3 1/2 MONTHS TILL THINGS GREEN UP!

PROZAC ANYONE?

2. john boylan

john boylan LawnSite Member

Homer, I don't know anybody here in N. ALabama that seeds perrenial rye, unless it comes in a shade mix. Even then it's probably a waste of money, cause it's gonna die in the summer heat. Heck, the fescue will too, but at least it lasts a little while. The annual rye is cheap, looks pretty, and IMO you aren't gonna hurt anything by throwing it out on your lawn. In my experience, you don't have to aerate to get it to come up, but--if you have fescue--why not? If you've got bermudagrass, you may cause root damage by aerating this late in the year and slow your green-up in the spring. Hey, make yourself happy: it's Christmas time in the county!

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Homer, How about some green turf dye?

4. HOMER

I got an idea, how bout pre-striped astro turf. Now thats the ticket!

Homer

P.S. I don't have Bermuda or fescue. I have perennial bahai, annual centipede, crab grass a-la-cart, broad leaf by products...........................see.............shouldn't hurt a thing should it?

[Edited by HOMER on 12-15-2000 at 03:03 PM]

5. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Homer -- Here in Chattanooga I overseeded my Bermudagrass last year in late November with Annual Ryegrass and it was slow coming up. I did not aerate but I did use fertilizer and lime. I reseeded again in December thinking the seed in November didn't make it. Well it continued to come up through Dec. and even in Jan., and got to looking nice and thick.

My problem came in the spring when the Bermudagrass was trying to green up. The Ryegrass was so thick that I finally started cutting it at 2" to try to kill it. It seemed like everyone else's yard turned nice and green while mine couldn't get going. I'd say my Bermudagrass was delayed almost a month before it came to normal fullness.

I haven't overseeded this year. I'm going to concentrate on killing the rouge Fescue and other weeds, and then toward spring I'm going to sand the turf and really level it out nice (second year doing this). I'm thinking of buying a reel mower and cutting the Bermudagrass down around 1" or less if I can.

6. HOMER

The way my yard looks I would settle for anything that gets green, stays green. I overseeded my St. Augustine at my old place a couple years ago and in the spring hit it with 36-0-0. WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO. It grew like crazy for a while and so did the rye! But it sure looked good. The rye finally died out after a month or so and the Augustine flourished. (I like that word)

The original intent of the voters....woops, the post, was to determine what would happen to the lawn in the spring. Would I do irrepairable damage to it (not that you could tell), but if there was a chance that we could get some decent rainfall in the spring I could work with it. I have an acre minus the house and driveway so I can't run around moving sprinklers all day. I need to use nature as much as I can and hope for the best.

Likestomow, did you use ammonia on that Bermuda? Hit it early and watch it explode!

Homer

7. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

5 gallon bucket of green paint... $47.00

1 paint pan for roller... $3.99

1 roller with extension handle... $16.50

2 rough roller pads... $6.80

Seeing Homer's satisfied smile without the help of Prozac...
    Priceless

8. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

It's not too late to aerate...You can aerate and overseed/fertilize as long as the ground isn't froze...Most people say to aerate in October but it's not going to hurt anything..I just aerated a customer's yard last friday..Another good tip: when it comes a good snow you can spread seed on top of the snow and when it melts it helps absorb the seed into the ground..Works pretty good....Clean-Cut

9. powerreel

powerreel Banned

Lawns with aeration holes in them 'till spring warms the soil can look really bad,I only aerate up until Sept.30 and never past. I am on cool season, but with the many trips to Ca. I take I think it is the same on warm season. Also reels are what you are supposed to use on Bermuda as I have learned, they work great on Rye, Blu and Fescue though, not just for bent.I think Labor Day is prime to overseed with winter ryes, I am no expert though, just what I have learned in class.Wait 'till after the frost/freeze ans apply ammonium sulfate for instagreen! Also, how do you like your CANYONERO? http://www.dailyradar.com/features/directhit_feature_page_1867_4.html

[Edited by powerreel on 12-15-2000 at 10:58 PM]

10. Likestomow

Likestomow LawnSite Senior Member

Homer -- ya know I didn't think of hitting it hard with nitrogen. I think I'll plan on doing that this spring. I've been fertilizing my Bermuda as often as every 30 days and that has kept it real green and growing hard. This next year I hope it will take off with a bang.