Aerating : What to use , is the equipment i have good enough ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nitro Junkie, Sep 16, 2004.

1. Nitro Junkie

Nitro Junkie LawnSite Member
    from va

In the process of startup business and feel there is plenty of this type of work to offer as a service. However the aerator i currently have is an agrifab 40" tow behind (pulls 3" plugs) i purchased at lowes that holds 5 cinder blocks.

The lawns that i have done for friends they have been happy and one friend had rented a commercial aerator and said it didnt pull and more or deeper plugs than the tow behind did.

My question is what is considered a good aerating job ? And is what i am using going to provide that ? What do you use to get into tight spots where a tow behind cant get to ?

There are some spots in a lawn where the ground is so hard no matter what you use its not going to pull plugs.

This is the aerator i am using:
    http://www.lowes.com/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=1015-000000203-450298

Any advice , tips, suggestions , anything will be greatly appreciated

2. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

That machine is not going to hold up as long as a commercial unit. It does not have the weight a commercial unit has nor is it going to get into the tight spaces a commercial walkbehine unit will. If this is all you can afford for the season and go with what you have.

Gravely_Man

3. Nitro Junkie

from va

I know it won't stand up to commercial use and would probably be lucky to get two seasons out of it.

Any recomendations as to brand/type of an affordable aerator that can do a good job.

My concern is quality , I have never aerated for anything other than friends and family and do not want to offer a service I cant complete with satisfaction.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Not only that, but with the amount of plugs that unit pulls out, you need to go over the lawn 4 times for the process to really be effective.

5. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Where is the best place to find a sturdy aerator that will pull a sufficient amount of plugs? How many plugs per square foot is adequate?

6. Nitro Junkie

from va

not at lowes and more than mine makes :)

I looked at a commercial one by classen during my lunch break and they seem well built and the sales sheet list the plug patter but i am not sure i understand it. They have a web site as well www.classen-mfg.com

7. 18 to twenty holes a square foot ..most walk behind areators only do 9 to 12..most you have to go over the lawn twice to do a proper job

8. bushtrimmer

bushtrimmer LawnSite Senior Member

We use Ryan walkbehind aerators and never have any problems.
    For our front deck Kubotas, we use Millcreek aerators, we do break a lot of tines with them though.
    I don't think you'd have any trouble with any of the top commercial lines, Classen, Turfco, Lesco just to name a few others, all very comperable, just personal preference on ease (or should I say difficulty) of use.

9. Andyinchville2

Andyinchville2 LawnSite Member

You might want to check out JRCO's Hooker Aerator....we have one and its great....Can mow and aerate at the same time !.....Double Profits.....and way easier to use than our Ryan Aire IV.....The Ryan is gathering dust now...Andrew

10. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

How much does that JRCO Hooker Aerator cost? It seems to be a real breakthrough to ZTR's.

Thank you