aerating

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by garth1967, Oct 13, 2005.

1. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

when is a good time to aerate and can anyone recommend a good machine and what are the benefits of aerating

2. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Search button.
    spring and fall while turf is still activily growing. Do a search on aeration there is a flyer that has a bunch of info that you can copy and print to hand out to potential customers.

3. garth1967

thanks for the tip.i have had a good look and this will come in handy i have had alot of inquiries

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

What type of soil do you have there? I live in North Carolina in the US and it is all clay. Aeration is great for us. If you have sand it may not be as beneficial.
    Do you have to do hills or just flat--Large areas or just small lots. All this will affect the aerator you want. Can you rent some. Try some out before you buy.

5. plateau lawn care

plateau lawn care LawnSite Member
    from georgia

If you are going to buy one get one that is cam operated. It has 4 wheels on it and you don't have to fight it as bad the other ones will work you to death. Do a google search for cam aerators, I think Billy Goat makes one

6. GREENITUP

GREENITUP LawnSite Member

The plugr machine by Rock Solid is what you want. I just got one in August and can tell you it is easier to operate and tires you out less than many other machines on the market (I learned this the hard way!). It pulls great plugs too. Good luck.

7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

I second that.

8. garth1967

thanks for the advice gang im still deciding if i should buy or rent one it would be good operate one before buying

9. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

If you have hills the old pluger will be hard to work. Be sure to get the new one that is self propelled

10. Pro-lawns

Pro-lawns LawnSite Member

i have a Ryan Lawn aire its great
    i bought it last spring and had it paid for by november
    it is a good machine