Aerating

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by DSLND, Apr 25, 2006.

1. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

I've asked by several customers in the last few weeks if i do aerating and i said not right now but i hopefully will be soon. I was looking at a push aerator at sears and mayb a tow behind but alot of yards are too small for a rider so i would like to start with the push aerator and later get a blue bird . After u aerate do u fertelize/ plant grass seed or does the aerator have a spreader on it for that? -Mitch-

2. rick2752

rick2752 LawnSite Member

A core aerator is to relieve the compaction of the ground so that nutrients reach the roots of the grass better. Line up all your customers for a certain day and go rent a self propelled walk behind.

3. Bustus

Bustus LawnSite Member

This is what I do and find it to be most effective.

4. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Yup, no reason to buy one, the dealer told me the break way too much.

5. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

sounds good to me also!!!:waving:

6. Daner

Daner LawnSite Bronze Member

I use the tow behind plug type...its just a cheepy Agri- Fab...load 4 blocks on errrrr and she works great
    There Is a star style aerater that has the seeder on top of it...But they will compac the soil

7. Turfco Tim

Turfco Tim LawnSite Member

Dreamcut,
    I talk to lawn care companies all over the U.S. and the majority of them tell me that aeration is one of the most, if not most, profitable service they offer. If you have the opportunity to offer this service by all means do it.

When you commit to offering this service purchase or rent a commercial aerator. No offense to Sears but those machines are built to aerify one lawn once or twice a year. They also are not going to provide the quality coring job that your customers will expect. It needs to remove a core.

Rental is alright for getting started. It will provide you with an idea of how the machines operate before you commit to purchasing. One of the drawbacks with rental is that you may not have the machine when you need it. There only about 4 weeks in the spring and 4-6 weeks in the fall when you can aerify. If you rent a machine and it rains during your rental time you don't get the job done. Commercial grade aerators that are properly maintained will last 6-8 years. At $75 per day for rental for 5 days (minimum) twice a year you will have paid for the aerator in 3-4 years and still have good life left.

I hope this helps.

Tim Gray
    Turfco, Mfg.
    1-800-679-8201

8. DSLND

DSLND LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Tim havent seen u on lawnsite b4 but ur the man that gave me the greatest info:weightlifter: -Mitch-

9. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

Buy one and market it, they pay for themselves in a few days if yo uahve the customers

10. agm

agm LawnSite Member
    from NM

I myself do what the others say.........schedule for a certain day of the week and rent one. Down here there are so many people who do this service and for me I don't get called much for aerating so when I do, I try to schedule as many as I can for one day, and rent one. The only problem I run into is when I schedule a customer.......... AND THEY ARE THE ONLY ONE. Talk about losing money.