1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by www.rs-lawn.com, Dec 10, 2006.

1. www.rs-lawn.com

www.rs-lawn.com LawnSite Member

I am buying a couple new pieces of equipment, one of which is an aerator. i have looked at a lot of different models and prices. i rented and used a bluebird before and i hated it. it was a hard machine to use and just hard on your body. i am either making a decion on buying the ryan lawnaire V(26.5") or the ryan lawnaire 28. there is only an $800 dollar difference in price, which is not a problem. i just want to know which one will be easier on my employees, do the best job, and be the most efficient.
  2. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

i think you will find that it IS going to be all about your personal prefferance. i personally own the bluebird, and find it to be very easiy to opperate. i used to own a lawnaire V, and hated the thought of pulling it out of the garage. i have used the plugr 400, and thought it was better then my bluebird, just slower, but it did a better job pulling plugs. some on here have used the turfco aerator and claim it is the superior aerator. my bluebird has the fastest walking speed of the ones i've used. jmo
    also the down fall of the lawnaire and bluebird is the ability to turn! the plugr was very easiy to manuver around the lawn
  3. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

I have been searching 25 yrs for the perfect aerator! but haven't found it yet. the plugr is great for smaller lawns but too slow for larger ones. I now own the Lesco 28, it does a nice job and is fast. but its still gives you a good workout! I'm working on building a front-mount riding aerator this winter. the Z-Plugr is a great piece of equipment, if your looking for a riding spreader/sprayer you might look at them.
  4. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

Have used the plugr400 and found it ok on smaller stuff as well...as long as it is fairly flat. Pretty useless on grades above 3%. Klausen makes a decent aerator and, as I understand it they have purchased Ryan from Jacobsen . As far as I am concerned no one makes a better pull-behind aerator than Ryan. I can only hope that Klausen continues to manufacture those models with little or no compromise in qualtiy and/or design. The Klausen pull-behind/3 point hitch type is tough but, requires weights to be placed on top of the unit for good penetration in dry soils. This is a poor design compared with weighted individual plates of the Ryan. The Ryanaire V is a good machine with good access to maitenance points,grease zirks, chains etc. and makes almost full use of the tine width will others of a similar width(including Klausen and Turfco) waste a full 6"-8" on the machine with guards and transport-wheels on each side requiring a large overlap of passes. This also adds unecessary weight and fatigue for the operator. One other potential problem is the chain guards of these models are very close to the ground and can "plow" on uneven soil. With all the additional weight, even with a "split drive" to aid in turns they can be a knucklebuster getting close to fences or going through narrow areas suchas gates. I'll stick with Ryans unless the design is changed.
  5. turfsolutions

turfsolutions LawnSite Senior Member

Have you looked into the z plugr?
  6. sclawndr

sclawndr LawnSite Senior Member

I've had everything at one time or another and the best bet now is the Turfco split drive with the sulky. It comes in 19 or 26 and pulls a good plug. Better still is it doesn't beat you up. If you're doing bigger properties, don't go tow behind. Get something like a Steiner or Ventrac with the aerating attachment on the front. They're very maneuverable and with the 40 inch boxes, can get thru most gates. It's much easier to aerate looking forward than backward. A lot of companies in our area have switched to these units because they're fast, easy and very effective.
  7. battags

battags LawnSite Senior Member

Wow! That's a costly recommendation. There is a HUGE difference between a tow behind Turfco and a Steiner or Ventrac!

I'm looking for a quality 'tow-behind' that isn't going to cost me an arm and a leg. I like the features and cost of the Turfco and love the Ryan but have no idea on cost?

8. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

We have a Lawnaire 28. We are more than happy with. It's extremely maneuverable and pulls a great plug. We're looking at a three point Ryan tracaire or an aeravator. I like the overseeding ability of the aeravator, as well as a method of aeration that can be done when the ground is a little hard. Anyone have experience with the aeravator. I also like the Classen stand-aire but leaning towards the aeravator if I pull the trigger on a new one.
  9. MStine315

MStine315 LawnSite Senior Member

I, too am looking at the same aerators to upgrade from my blubird. I have a 60" Lesco pull behind that has been very good to me. I loved the LA28's back in the day, but I thought maybe the turnaire type Turfco, Classen and Lesco units would be more maintenance friendly. There's a lot of moving parts on a 28. Do you have maint. issues or has it held up well?
  10. pieperlc

pieperlc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

Our unit is the OMC-Lincoln LA28. We bought it used a few years ago. We have done nothing to it besides regular engine maintenance and replacing tines. It's truly a moneymaker for us. Are you looking at a aeravator as well?