Aerating

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by Adam's Lawn and Garden, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Adam's Lawn and Garden

Adam's Lawn and Garden LawnSite Senior Member

I was wondering how much seed per 1,000 sq. ft. you guys put down? Also, if running over an area twice with an agri-fab aerator is enough before putting down seed? If not, any recommendations for big jobs that you need to aerate.

Thanks,
    adam

2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

As little as 3 lbs or as much as 8...depends on the density of the turf.

3. Duekster

Duekster LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

Are you over seeding with the same type grass or over seeding with winter grass? I know what time of year it is but I have to ask because to over seed with winter grass is about 12 pounds with a follow up to get what the birds eat.

4. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Unlike Texas, we have cool season grasses here so it's overseeding with the same type of grass to fill in thin spots usually. A brand new lawn that a builder may have only done the minimum to get a CO for his buyer we go as high as 10 sometimes to establish a good base.

It depends on what is there already and how much the client likes his/her lawn.

5. Adam's Lawn and Garden

I was over there today to measure, but didn't add up the measurements yet. It's probably somewhere from 75K to 100K sq. ft.. What do you guys recommend to use, cause i only have 1 day to do it. What i figured is that i will put down the seed with a pull behind big broadcast spreader, but there aerator i'm stuck on.

adam

6. indyturf

indyturf LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

with that size lawn I would rent a pull behind aerator. find a good one that has a place you can put some extra weight on it if you need to. go over it 2-3 times in different directions. depending on the amount of shade or sunlight the lawn gets go with a sunny mix or a mix with red fescue in it for the shady area's. would be a good idea to put some starter fertilizer down too.

7. Adam's Lawn and Garden

So my estimate of 100k sq. ft was a understatement! My dad and i went out and measured it out, it's 350k sq. ft.. I was looking at the Hooker aerator by JRCO, has anyone used this? how does it work only being 38"? Also, they have alot of rocks in the dirt from when they built it, is there anyway to remove these?

thanks,

adam

8. Adam's Lawn and Garden

9. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

Thats almost 8 acres of turf. rent a 6' pull behind. then broad cast the seed. pending how thin the original turf is I would put between 3 - 10 pounds per K that is alot of seed. you are looking at 2100-7000 just in seed not to mention the 1900 aeration fee. so you are looking between a 4-10k bid.

10. Adam's Lawn and Garden

How much do you guy's charge per 1K sq. ft.? My fert guy said they charge $60. I was gonna do 50 since it's so much. That's with the seed and what not in it. It's gonna be about 3.5 tons of seed.

thanks,

adam