aerating

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bladewielder, Mar 19, 2002.

1. Bladewielder

Bladewielder LawnSite Member

I need some advice on getting the right aerator. I have never owned one because of the low demand for the service. I now have a couple of customers that want this done and I also simply wish to expand my services. I have been looking at the "Spiker" pull-behind spike aerators. Has anyone tried these or have a better idea? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Get a good core aerator. Spikers are junk. Wasting your customers money and yours.

I've been running the Rocksolid Plugr's since 2000. They have been built proof. Not one problem from them. Not as fast as some others, but a very precision job.

Several companies make good tow behind aerators also.

3. lbmd1

lbmd1 LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased a "tru core" tow behind aerator several years ago, it has it's pros and cons. While the coring action works, its tough to turn unless you have the room and we try not to use it on our fussy expensive lawns. I've been talking to some and I'm going to purchase the rocksolid plugr that Hoss has prior to this coming fall. Most who have used them swear by them and say you don't have to wrestle with them like drum aerators. The "spike aerators while creating holes, actually make compaction worse in my opinion because it doesn't remove any cores. Do alot of research on the boards using the search and you'll find a wide variety of opinions.

Mike

4. grasscanuck

grasscanuck LawnSite Member
    from canada

Consider renting one. I have done this for a few years now. I do all my customers in one or two days. Rental is $80. Profit is $2000. I wouldn't buy one unless you had enough customers to justify the cost.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Buy a good core aerator. I would go with a walk behind at start and then a tow behind, or both if you can afford. You will need a WB for small areas, places a tow behind won't fit and gated yards.

MATT

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

[​IMG]

The job they do on seed bed prep is awesome. If you have bare soil it looks like a tiller went thru, but at a fast pace.

7. walker-talker

from Midwest

Hey Hoss, what did you pay for that machine, if you don't mnd me asking?

MATT

8. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

I got the Classen split drive last year from Lesco and am satisfied with the results. It'll plug about 30,000 square feet/hour. The nice thing is it'll turn without tearing as it has some steering capabilities. It doesn't "zero-turn", but you don't have to lift it up at the end of the row either. I found just going in circles working your way to the middle of property was the most efficient.

[​IMG]

9. walker-talker

from Midwest

What does "split drive" mean? It has left and right braking? That would be easier.

MATT

10. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Split drive means that when you release one handle the drive mechanism releases turning only one drum which in essence "steers" the machine. There are two drums as opposed to one. That make any sense?