1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Aerating

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by landscaper3, Sep 9, 2000.

1. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

Aerating lawns do you leave the plugs on the ground or do you clean them up?

2. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Leave them there. If I had to pick them up, I wouldn't aerate in the first place!

3. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

if your customers complain you can
    1. charge more for picking them up.
    2. drag a peice of chain link fence over the lawn to break them up.
    either way you make more CHEEZE "I LIKE CHEEZE "
    JUST LIKE BURGER KING WITH A TWIST SPECIAL ORDERS DO COST MORE..

4. landscaper3

This areator goes on the front of my Walker mower by mainline of america. as far as picking up the plugs ill use my other Walker to suck em and bag em. Boy I love those Walker mowers all those impliments and attachments.

5. Currier

Currier LawnSite Senior Member

One problem you may have is the plugs plugging up your walker. You may want to wait until the plugs are dry...or better yet educate the homeowner on the benefits of leaving the plugs on the lawn.
    If you get lots of deep plugs you may find that the awesome suction power of the walker causes the deck and intake chute to plug with mud. It can really make a huge mess. Better to let them gradually break down and each time you mow they become less and less of an issue.
    I almost ordered the millcreek aerator but my machine is older and I wasn't sure if pushing the aerator would stress the hydros. It looks like a decent set up hope it works great! Let us know...

6. landscaper3

Thanks on the walker info.

7. BUSHMASTER

BUSHMASTER LawnSite Senior Member

thats right and consider what all those tiny peices of sand doing to that expensive blower wheel...$$$$somtimes it good to have a detcated machine in the long run theres less maintence

8. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I leave them there. Top soil is a precious commodity.

Eric

9. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

I drag chain link fence over them to brake them up, also when overseeding helps to get seed down to the soil.I add the time it takes my to pull the fence to my price, looks better when done.

10. jeffyr

jeffyr LawnSite Senior Member

I leave them to break up. I include a brief letter stating what I did and how the customer should then water. It also explains the benefits of leaving the cores, and nobody has complained. Although I tell them to sprinkle with a light mist twice daily, I saw one of them shoting a stream of water to the ground. They said they were breaking up the cores. Looked to me like they were washing away their seed !

jeffyr